X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
    Success in Colorado!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very Nice! Headed to Vail next week. Did you fish the Eagle or Colorado? Were they hitting on dries?

Comment

Caught all my fish on nymphs under a dry fly. Beautiful views

Comment

My wife and I killed the smallmouth Saturday at deer camp on olive steamers. Caught about 40 total, plus a pile of rock bass and red bellies.
        Attached Files

Comment

Rocky Nat Park last year, caught the grand slam on the first day, here is a Brook, Brown, and Cutthroat. My Rainbow jumped back in before I could get a pic. I'm going back this year with a rod I built. Love it!
          Attached Files

Comment

No pics, but I murdered the pan fish this morning on brushy creek! I bought a cheap little foam spider from Walmart Thursday and they couldn't resist it this morning! I probably landed 30 fish in an hour and a half! Easily my most fun day on the water by a long shot

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post
              No pics, but I murdered the pan fish this morning on brushy creek! I bought a cheap little foam spider from Walmart Thursday and they couldn't resist it this morning! I probably landed 30 fish in an hour and a half! Easily my most fun day on the water by a long shot

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                Man it was literally every cast! It was a lot of fun

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post
                  Man it was literally every cast! It was a lot of fun
                  Its those days that keep us heading out.

BTW, never seen a fly at walmart. Sounds like it is time to buy even an inexpensive tying kit and making a few yourself. Foam flies are pretty cheap to make.

Comment

I have a fly rod. But, have no clue on how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by 41Chevy View Post
                      I have a fly rod. But, have no clue on how to use it.
                      YouTube and practice is how I learned... And I'm hooked! I bet I don't touch another bait caster

Comment

Originally posted by Derrik View Post
                        Very Nice! Headed to Vail next week. Did you fish the Eagle or Colorado? Were they hitting on dries?
                        I stayed in Avon and fished the Eagle. Went out with Tom Rushlow from Minturn Anglers on Monday and he made all the difference in my success! He worked his tail off to put my on fish and we figured out a pattern that was absolutely stellar! I was able to go back solo later in the week and was pretty successful using what I learned. Most of my fishing was done fishing a chubby chernoble on top with a double dropper of an emerger followed by a midge. When I was fishing with Tom all of my fish came on the midge, but different times of day had the fish hitting different flys. When I noticed they were hitting the emerger, I changed the midge out, and when I saw them hitting the chernoble I switched out to a parachute adams or caddis. To me it seemed like the time of day made a lot of difference on how the fish were acting. If there's a light rain, get ready for the dry fly bite to heat up and tie on that caddis. I'm sure you know, but fish those seams and slow your drift down as much as possible!

If you need any other advice or a few of the spots I fished shoot me a PM.

One more thing. Hill's discount flys in Avon has a NICE selection of flys at around $1.20/fly and can offer some helpful advice on where to go, what to use, and how to fish. I made the mistake of trying to buy flys before I went that were at least double the price.
                        Last edited by stxhunter; 07-24-2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I been catching blue gill like crazy on a white popper
                          I really need to make a trip to Broken Bow for trout

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

Comment

Of course I can cast and present to 50 of these things and never get an eat, but when I cast to a pod of feeding reds one gladly swoops in for the steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got back from Colorado.

My son is getting the hang of it. Dry fly or die. Ha.

We use a dropper sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by bdphunt View Post
                                Just got back from Colorado.

My son is getting the hang of it. Dry fly or die. Ha.

We use a dropper sometimes.

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X