Money saving tip... Pork Loins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money saving tip... Pork Loins

I'll get this out there. I really like pork. My favorite is to shoot a wild one and butcher it, but life and work gets in the way and I can't always make it out there to hunt. Lately I've been buying the large pork loin vacuum seal packages and instead of cooking it whole, I slice them into 1" steaks and package them 4 in a bag. It ends up costing about 30% the price of buying chops or other steak cut pork.

Cook them on the grill or just straight up on the stove top with some Worcestershire sauce in a pan. Cook it at about 2/5 heat after a good sear and then deglaze with a bit of water or chicken stock for a crazy good topper sauce.

I find this cut is flavorful and can be cut with a fork in most cases. I bought an entire loin for $5 earlier this week. That was $2 less than a pack of 2 pork chops that are basically the same cut of meat.

I have people ask me all the time "how much did that hunt cost?!?!" and my answer usually is "it depends on how much I saved over the last couple years." Its amazing what you can do by budgeting and prioritizing your spending. This year I am going on a a 1 week Alaskan adventure vacation for around $500 a person. Once I am back, I will type up a how-to so more people can experience what is is like to be in the wild. (and I am sorry, there are not many places in Texas anymore that are truly wild).
    Last edited by Kevin; 03-04-2016, 10:02 PM.

They are good. I also cut them about 3/4" run them through my tenderizer and chicken fry.

Comment

Good tip. Will have to try some soon.

Comment

$500 total for a trip to Alaska sounds fantactic to me

Comment

It would cost me more than $500 in fuel to get to Alaska

Comment

Originally posted by Corn Sack View Post
            It would cost me more than $500 in fuel to get to Alaska
            That is because you dont know the tricks. I am flying my dad there for $0.00 using miles that cost me nothing and my father-n-law and my tickets were $360 each.

I cant post all the details now, but I wont leave my TBH brothers in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              That is because you dont know the tricks. I am flying my dad there for $0.00 using miles that cost me nothing and my father-n-law and my tickets were $360 each.

I cant post all the details now, but I wont leave my TBH brothers in the dark.
              I love seeing other people into travel hacking. I just booked mine and my buddy flight to florida to fish for goliath grouper and BIG amberjack the end of April for free and I will be hunting in New Zealand for free next June on airline miles. Don't even get me started on Stopovers and Open Jaws. That stuff is awesome .

Comment

Tagged
                Guess we are lucky .We hunt a pretty wild part of Texas.
                I have been charged by hogs several times. Almost bit by a rattler. Had coyote run up on the kids that were giggling- it died.
                And we do have a cougar that comes through he has been seen 3 times and left tracks all 3. Lol
                Not to mention the scorpions and tarantulas

Comment

They make great pork chops. They're great with shake and bake on them.

Comment

That's exactly what I do.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kevin;11138088]I'll get this out there. I really like pork. My favorite is to shoot a wild one and butcher it, but life and work gets in the way and I can't always make it out there to hunt. Lately I've been buying the large pork loin vacuum seal packages and instead of cooking it whole, I slice them into 1" steaks and package them 4 in a bag. It ends up costing about 30% the price of buying chops or other steak cut pork.

Cook them on the grill or just straight up on the stove top with some Worcestershire sauce in a pan. Cook it at about 2/5 heat after a good sear and then deglaze with a bit of water or chicken stock for a crazy good topper sauce.

I find this cut is flavorful and can be cut with a fork in most cases. I bought an entire loin for $5 earlier this week. That was $2 less than a pack of 2 pork chops that are basically the same cut of meat.

Great idea. I too love pork. Wish I could kill more big sows
                      I make my own sweet & sour sauce from peach jelly and Chinese mustard in a double boiler. But chipotle works too

Comment

Same thing here. I just bought a big whole loin from SAMs for like $14 total and got probably close to 10 meals out of it. You can control how thick or thin you want your chops.

Comment

Good ideas all around! I might have to cook some more tonight My poor Wife has the flu so I am eating mostly meat while she is eating mostly soup hah

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                            Tagged
                            Guess we are lucky .We hunt a pretty wild part of Texas.
                            I have been charged by hogs several times. Almost bit by a rattler. Had coyote run up on the kids that were giggling- it died.
                            And we do have a cougar that comes through he has been seen 3 times and left tracks all 3. Lol
                            Not to mention the scorpions and tarantulas
                            I agree we have a lot of wilderness, the difference is you normally have cell coverage, fairly easy access, hospitals close, civilization close. It makes a difference on the psyche.

Comment

Working...
                            X