Question for the salesmen on here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the salesmen on here

Here is the scenario: one salesman has a customer, he's been with them for awhile. In the middle of it while they are on the lot, he goes to lunch. He tells the customer that other salesman can help them. He isn't on commission, other salesman is. Other salesman finishes the sale, does invoice and takes deposit. He puts the one who went to lunch name on invoice.

1. Would y'all go to lunch in middle of a deal?
    2. Would you have put your name or his on invoice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't go to lunch until after the sale. If I sold it my name is going on it. That's kind of giving credit where it's not due if you don't. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      I wouldn't go to lunch until after the sale. If I sold it my name is going on it. That's kind of giving credit where it's not due if you don't. Right?
      This is where I am.

Comment

No, I would not go to lunch in the middle of a sale, but if he did and already had the sale done except for the paperwork, and you just finished up the paperwork for him, it sounds like that salesman owes you a BIG favor Sambo. If you did not actually make the sale and only did the paperwork, then you did not EARN the commission.

How much time did it take to complete the paperwork?
        Last edited by Burnadell; 07-29-2022, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I have only been placed into cut throat sales a few times. I have always won.
          You have to play to win - or - bloody well go home...

Comment

...as a guy whole loves & breathes sales, this one makes my head hurt.

Only way I'm going to lunch is with the customer...commission is not even in the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              No, I would not go to lunch in the middle of a sale, but if he did and already had the sale done except for the paperwork, and you just finished up the paperwork for him, it sounds like that salesman owes you a BIG favor Sambo. If you did not actually make the sale and only did the paperwork, then you did not EARN the commission.

How much time did it take to complete the paperwork?

I had to take them and show them a mower, price it, set up the delivery.....& recommend TBH to him....he had a Hoyt cap on.

Comment

More information. So why didn’t you put your name on the sale?

Comment

You don’t leave a customer in the middle of a sale unless there is an emergency. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Never been a "salesman" but I can tell you if I was, the only way I am going to get anything to eat in the middle of a sale and leaving potential buyer behind is if I am a diabetic and my sugar has dropped to the point I either eat or fall out

Now if it is some tire kicker that has been wasting my time and I already figured out they have no intention of buying then I would probably walk away and go eat

And whoever closes the sale gets commission or if not on commission first guy does not get either
                    First guy would not have a job either if he worked for me unless there was a real good reason for walking away before complete

Comment

I would not leave in the middle, assuming if customers have been there awhile they are also hungry like you. Stick it out and finish what you started

If I was the closer, I would take the credit as that takes work and a sale is never completed until they sign. Plenty of people walk before they negotiate and sign. If I was the customer, I would be ****** if I got handed off in middle of deal or I would start negations again to see if I could get more off.

Comment

Need more info here.

Was the sales guy going to lunch meeting with a high-volume buyer or someone else who would be of a higher strategic value?

Is this customary for reps to cover for each other in certain situations?

Is there an understood quid pro quo for "pinchhitting" for a commissioned rep on a sale? Sometimes junior-level sales people are rewarded in other ways for being a team player.

What was the customer's reaction to being handed off?

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                          Here is the scenario: one salesman has a customer, he's been with them for awhile. In the middle of it while they are on the lot, he goes to lunch. He tells the customer that other salesman can help them. He isn't on commission, other salesman is. Other salesman finishes the sale, does invoice and takes deposit. He puts the one who went to lunch name on invoice.

1. Would y'all go to lunch in middle of a deal?
                          2. Would you have put your name or his on invoice?

Kinda need more information here.

If salesman 1 just handed the customer off so they could go eat with no explanation, I’m not putting their name down unless that customer was already registered under salesman #1.

I sell homes and work with my teammates. I’ve sold homes for other sales counselors that have barely worked with a customer. I’ve sold homes for them while they are on vacation and they’ve done the same for me!

However, this seems like salesman #1 just wanted to go eat and not finish what was needed because he doesn’t need the commission. Then again, I am just assuming.

On the flip side, sales person #1 could have realized this customer was buying today, didn’t need commission (get paid on the sales or is on salary + bonus per sale?) and wanted to hand it off to somebody who could get paid on it...

Comment

I agree, more information is needed to fully understand. I know the salesman I have bought my last 3 cars from has an assigned partner, and they cover for each other. If any activity related to a sale/potential sale occurs when my assigned salesman is not there, his partner handles it, and vice versa. I know a particular vehicle I wanted came in, so my salesman got the key and called me to come in and view/test drive it. Told him I couldn't make it until the next day, which was his off day. He told me to ask for his partner, who would handle the test drive and any other details related to the sale.

Regarding leaving the customer to go to lunch, I personally would not do it on what would be considered a normal day, meaning I had the flexibility to take lunch whenever I wanted/needed. If the salesman had a prescheduled lunch date/time with someone and choosing to not show up, or show up late was not an option, then I wouldn't fault him. It could be a close friend or family member who the salesman had not seen in quite some time, and the friend/family member said they were in town briefly on business and prior to catching a flight to head back home, they agreed upon lunch date set up within a tight window of time, and because of this commitment the salesman couldn't push through the entire sale.

Again, if the dealership has a partner/buddy system for events like the above illustration, then the salesman likely felt comfortable allowing his partner to complete the sale, knowing he has done the exact same thing for the other salesman in the past. I know this concept/arrangement seems odd for a traditional cutthroat styled car dealership, but there are dealerships that are managed differently, and this could be one of them.

Comment

Last edited by Bigfootwolff; 07-30-2022, 05:47 AM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Working...
                              X