How close is too close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How close is too close?

In regards to deer stands. Our place is 1500 acres out west and I'm of the opinion that anything closer than a 1/2 mile is too close. We've got a group of potlickers on our lease that are constantly moving their stands around and think nothing of throwing up a stand and feeder 1/4 mile from another. I feel like if we could both shoot at the same deer at the same time that is too dam close. Lease manager tends to look the other way to avoid conflict and I'm becoming "that guy" for pointing out what colossal DB's these guys are. Maybe I'm being unreasonable?

Originally posted by whitecrow View Post
    Maybe I'm being unreasonable?
    Not at all. Especially if you can see their stand from your stand.

Comment

Out west is definitely different. I’ve been on a few east Texas leases where stands were inside 200yds of each other, and that is everything from frustrating to a complete waste of time.

How many people are on the 1500 acres?

Comment

Sitting in your stand and looking at the other guy's stand thru your binos and seeing him looking back at you thru his rifle scope would most likely open a 55 gallon barrel of whoopass soon as I got back to camp.

Comment

Deer rifle test

In regards to deer stands. Our place is 1500 acres out west and I'm of the opinion that anything closer than a 1/2 mile is too close. We've got a group of potlickers on our lease that are constantly moving their stands around and think nothing of throwing up a stand and feeder 1/4 mile from another. I feel like if we could both shoot at the same deer at the same time that is too dam close. Lease manager tends to look the other way to avoid conflict and I'm becoming "that guy" for pointing out what colossal DB's these guys are. Maybe I'm being unreasonable?
          If you can knock a hole in a stand when no one is in it ! it’s to close, 400 yards is to close, 800 yards? Sounds like y’all got to many hunters trying to keep it affordable? Jump the price and clean up the membership, 1 man per 500 acres on a rifle lease , 1 per 300 bow
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-19-2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            Sitting in your stand and looking at the other guy's stand thru your binos and seeing him looking back at you thru his rifle scope would most likely open a 55 gallon barrel of whoopass soon as I got back to camp.
            Lmao yep

Comment

Time to move on!

Comment

My last place in nwtx (Kent co) everyone was at least 1 mi apart.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

1 per 1000 would be better but 1 per 100 is ok

Comment

We have 7 folks on 2,400 acres out west. Each of us have 2 stands (14 total) and we only bowhunt except for the occasional culling weekend where we let friends and their kids thump the remaining does and mgmt deer with a rifle. Some stands are as close as 500-600 yards....some are 800-1000. We have a bunch of ridges and draws with mesquites/oaks and cedars so the distance is plenty for bowhunting. That being said, the pens stay where they stay so we don't really have any creepers. Never had any complaints. You dang sure can't see each others bow stands

Comment

Sounds like it is time to find a new lease.

Comment

@flywise, I agree with your avatar, absolutely America is at distress with this current administration.

@muzzlebrake, I 100% agree, if I am scouting out with bino's and catch you aiming at me with a scope there are definitely going to be sparks flying. And do not even try to say you forgot your bino's. Not going to buy it.

Comment

Out west is totally different. I hunt thick woods and we have 4-5 feeders all within 700 yards of each other. But its also diffeent hunting and none can see each other

Comment

We hunt 75 acres with three stands, bow or rifle at each setup. We've got them set with natural barriers in between, a hill, thick brush, etc. Can't see or shoot any of them from any other.

One funny thing, it's less common than you'd think for us to see the same deer on multiple cameras.

Comment

West and south Texas we always aim for at least 600-800 yards.

Obviously there are a lot of variables (terrain, #of hunters, acreage, bow/gun set ups) but if they are rifle stands and you have someone putting up a stand 400 yards from you out west that is chicken shat in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X