Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    hunt@tpwd.state.tx.us

They'll have to cancel the application, nonrefundable. Then you can reapply.
    Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
      Just finished my first round of apps. I know it's been mentioned a lot before, but I really wish we had a points-only option in this Texas process. I have a couple other out of state adventures this year that will take up most of my time off.

Not that I'm concerned about drawing with the abysmal draw odds, but it would be nice to go points-only on a year with a busy schedule. Not applying isn't an option either, since each year adds hundreds of names to the hat with the cubed system.

It would be cool to be able to apply aggressively on years you really want hunts or back off on years you don't, and not fall behind in the points by not applying.
      I’ve always wondered why people would want to buy a point and not be drawn, what you said made good sense though. Never thought of it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
        I’ve always wondered why people would want to buy a point and not be drawn, what you said made good sense though. Never thought of it like that.
        Points mean a lot more than they use to. Since they added the cube, I think it's really important to add a point only option for each section. This could bring extra revenue and increase draw odds

Comment

Maybe I missed it but what was ever the point of the cubing? Just to make the loyalty points add up in a curve and supposedly give those with loyalty the better odds?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
            Maybe I missed it but what was ever the point of the cubing? Just to make the loyalty points add up in a curve and supposedly give those with loyalty the better odds?

Yes. Someone who applied to Rita Blanca for 20 years, compared to someone apply for the first time, In the past they only had very slightly better odds. Now they have extremely better odds.

I think it gives people hope that if they apply for 10 years they will draw, before that incentive to keep apply after a few years of nothing drawn was not there. It's a big carrot to retain those that apply.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
              Yes. Someone who applied to Rita Blanca for 20 years, compared to someone apply for the first time, In the past they only had very slightly better odds. Now they have extremely better odds.

I think it gives people hope that if they apply for 10 years they will draw, before that incentive to keep apply after a few years of nothing drawn was not there. It's a big carrot to retain those that apply.

Well, I gotta lotta carrots out there, I'm watch-n.

Comment

When is the next set of draws? Next week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                  Just finished my first round of apps. I know it's been mentioned a lot before, but I really wish we had a points-only option in this Texas process. I have a couple other out of state adventures this year that will take up most of my time off.

Not that I'm concerned about drawing with the abysmal draw odds, but it would be nice to go points-only on a year with a busy schedule. Not applying isn't an option either, since each year adds hundreds of names to the hat with the cubed system.

It would be cool to be able to apply aggressively on years you really want hunts or back off on years you don't, and not fall behind in the points by not applying.
                  Yep, been doing the same thing for years. Which, unfortunately screws the guys who really want to hunt this year. For example I put in for gun mule deer in Sierra Diablo. They only draw 2 tags, the odds are next to zero even with my 9 points. If I draw I will make the hunt work, but in all reality all I did was make it harder for someone else to draw and I get my point.

I really think there are alot of people who do the same thing. Wouldn't suprise me if 10-20% of applicants are just putting in for the hardest unit to draw so they can get a point for the year as they already have other hunts or plans but know how important that point is every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    When is the next set of draws? Next week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Should be the 16th. I'm up for 4 hunts then.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                      Yep, been doing the same thing for years. Which, unfortunately screws the guys who really want to hunt this year. For example I put in for gun mule deer in Sierra Diablo. They only draw 2 tags, the odds are next to zero even with my 9 points. If I draw I will make the hunt work, but in all reality all I did was make it harder for someone else to draw and I get my point.

I really think there are alot of people who do the same thing. Wouldn't suprise me if 10-20% of applicants are just putting in for the hardest unit to draw so they can get a point for the year as they already have other hunts or plans but know how important that point is every year.
                      Put me in that boat, super awesome hunt or nothing at all

Comment

I'm being lazy....I know I can look it up....but what hunts are they drawing on the 16th?

Comment

Archery hunts and pronghorn for sure as far as I know. I’m sure there may be others in categories I’m not in though.

Comment

Archery Deer
                            Archery Mule Deer
                            Javelina
                            Private Land Pronghorn
                            Pronghorn

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post

100%. That's exactly what I do as well. I don't want the Powderhorn hunt in the exotic category, but my name is in that hat 1728 times since it has the worst draw odds. All I want is a point for something else in the future, but it's making the odds that much worse for everyone else. A points-only option would fix that situation all around.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                                Should be the 16th. I'm up for 4 hunts then.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

8 here. Fingers crossed...

Comment

Working...
                                X