How to save money on lumber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to save money on lumber?

I am constantly doing projects around the house and barn and am curious who has the cheapest lumber on a consistent basis or if anyone has tips on how to save a little ie: contractor program, loyalty program, credit card. I am needing to buy about $4k for a barn office frame out and have always used McCoy’s in the past because they have my ag card on file and will load but also have a lowes, Sutherlands, Home Depot, and MG within reasonable distance. Suggestions from this who do this on a regular basis or for a living?

I saved a fortune by buying siding instead of boards. I would rip the siding down or use it as base and trim boards. A 12’X8”X3/4 inch pine lap siding piece was about a dollar a foot and the same piece as a board was 27 dollars. The siding was straighter and less knots. If you need framing lumber I am sorry. I would shop around. Some places you can negotiate with them. Don’t be afraid to try.

Comment

Are you a veteran? You can sign up with Lowes and HD. I saved $6700 using my veterans discount on my rent house remodel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Use the pro desk at Lowes for big order's. You can also get their credit card to save as well. If you are going to have a big initial order the first purchase has an even bigger discount.

Comment

Buy direct from the saw mill.. Cut out the middle man.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            Are you a veteran? You can sign up with Lowes and HD. I saved $6700 using my veterans discount on my rent house remodel.

I am not, just a regular joe. Thanks for your service!

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
              Use the pro desk at Lowes for big order's. You can also get their credit card to save as well. If you are going to have a big initial order the first purchase has an even bigger discount.
              Will pro desk discount? Looks like 5% on credit card. Every little bit helps!

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                I saved a fortune by buying siding instead of boards. I would rip the siding down or use it as base and trim boards. A 12’X8”X3/4 inch pine lap siding piece was about a dollar a foot and the same piece as a board was 27 dollars. The siding was straighter and less knots. If you need framing lumber I am sorry. I would shop around. Some places you can negotiate with them. Don’t be afraid to try.
                Mostly framing lumber and plywood at this stage. I will definitely negotiate and look in scratch and sent as well.

Comment

Always folks on Craig’s list and Facebook marketplace with plywood for sale.

Comment

We spend 60k on a single 3,000 sqft house. Only receive rebates on our models and have to sign agreements. At 4k, if you can get in line and have it delivered, advise you to take it.

Comment

Not to be smart because I'm not trying to be. At this point I'd quit doing projects around the house. Crap is too expensive right now. I don't know how people do it......I refuse.

Comment

If you have a big order like that, go to the pro desk, give them your list and then say, look, this is a big order, can you help me on the pricing? Nearly every time I can get 10-20% off.

Also, you can take delivery at different times. So get your framing and later pick up the exterior siding, roofing, etc. then later get the interior. If you give them the whole list many will make sure you have your items ready to go when you tell them.
                        Last edited by Dusty Britches; 08-03-2022, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

HD won't honor the veteran 10% discount on lumber-- Don't know about Lowes.

Comment

I have been able to do a few small projects using the local sawmill. They give a 10% discount for cash. Plus the yard hands always throw in 3-4 extra pieces. If rough cut is an option you might be able to have a few dollars left over.

Comment

Working...
                            X