No announcement yet.

Used 1/2 ton 4X4 Trucks Dodge, Chevy or Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have had high number of transmissions crapping out on our Chevy/GM 1500 fleet trucks. All are between 2014-2021.

Comment

Hope you have a mechanic friend

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech1233 View Post
        Agreed 100%. My wife has a Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5 ecoboost. Just rolled 100k a few months back. The thing started leaking coolant all over the place. Ford apparently used some “quick connect” hose connections on those engines and a quick Google search will show you just how awful they are. The turbos had to be completely broken down in order to replace an o ring. $5k later it seems ok. That is until those turbos need replaced. I would look for a 5.0 with that kind of mileage.

5.0 use the same quick connect on the cooling lines, $20 & 5 min you can replace it yourself, pretty sure there’s a thread somewhere on here doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          This. Forty years of driving the hell out of Fords in the oil field. 200k is easy, 300k if you want to.
          188K on my 2011 F150 5.3 daily driver. My first Ford and the only vehicle I've bought new.

Had used GM & Chevy's before that and drove them all to the 160k - 180k mark with no issues until the transmission went out at 165k on the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech1233 View Post
            Agreed 100%. My wife has a Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5 ecoboost. Just rolled 100k a few months back. The thing started leaking coolant all over the place. Ford apparently used some “quick connect” hose connections on those engines and a quick Google search will show you just how awful they are. The turbos had to be completely broken down in order to replace an o ring. $5k later it seems ok. That is until those turbos need replaced. I would look for a 5.0 with that kind of mileage.
            Watch closely for increased engine oil consumption.

Comment

My Tundra will roll 300k sometime this week.
              Runs as strong as the day I bought it, never a single issue, and I drive it like I stole it 100% of the time.
              300k and no squeaks or rattles in the cabin, who can say that about any of the other 3.
              We did run over 1.5 million lbs of concrete through it, so I had to replace springs, shocks, and the axle housing in the rear cuz I was tired of welding it back up.
              Never owned any truck that could hold a candle to this thing.
              If you want it to last there's only one answer, if you want it to massage your balls, you have a couple options with the big 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                My Tundra will roll 300k sometime this week.
                Runs as strong as the day I bought it, never a single issue, and I drive it like I stole it 100% of the time.
                300k and no squeaks or rattles in the cabin, who can say that about any of the other 3.
                We did run over 1.5 million lbs of concrete through it, so I had to replace springs, shocks, and the axle housing in the rear cuz I was tired of welding it back up.
                Never owned any truck that could hold a candle to this thing.
                If you want it to last there's only one answer, if you want it to massage your balls, you have a couple options with the big 3.
                Are the newer Tacomas the same way? My mom had one for ten years and put 300k on it. Didn't quit till my dad rolled it.

Comment

Originally posted by Horns1 View Post
                  5.0 use the same quick connect on the cooling lines, $20 & 5 min you can replace it yourself, pretty sure there’s a thread somewhere on here doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Depends on which hose you’re talking about. I’d already done the one coming from the coolant reservoir. Pretty sure the leaks at the turbos are slightly more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by MontagueMech View Post
                    Watch closely for increased engine oil consumption.
                    Thanks for the heads up. I’ve got a Suburban on order now, so hopefully I don’t have it long enough for the next issue.

Comment

Take a look at Nissan Titan. Better overall value than the Tundra IMO , minus some bells and whistles. But that 5.6 is one heck of a motor.

Comment

Have 2017 chev Z71 crew cab 4x4, run in 5th gear so don't get that 4 cyl dropdown (never bought the plug in ) 5.3L get about 16 mpg on hwy 65,000. Like the truck as the way it handles and interior setup but concerned over lifter issues many have, mine does not use oil yet but is sluggish on acceleration and hesitates some maybe injectors but no codes yet. Would not recommend because of engine, nephew had lifters go up on 2015 chev 1500, friend also on 2016 after I bought mine of course.

Comment

My opinion, if you plan to have it off the blacktop, get a 3/4 ton or a tundra. The big three 1/2 tons are crap for any work truck or offroad use.

Comment

None of them….Tundra would be the better choice. I’ve got 180,000 on my 2012 tundra with no engine or transmission issues yet. I did have the transaxle rebuilt. Best truck I’ve ever owned

Comment

I'd say Tundra 1st, but since that wasn't an option in the OP, I'd go with a Ford 5.0. GM is known for their AFM burning up engines. Dodges seem to rattle apart and have the hemi lifter tick issue. I'd avoid an ecoboost unless you know how it was maintained and even then you roll the dice on a turbo issue. All of them have little stuff like radios, door locks, etc going out after a certain age.

Comment

Only thing I’m buying with 100K plus miles on it would be a Tundra. No questions asked.

Comment

Working...
                                X