Seized motor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
    I"m going to try the Marvel's Mystery oil. The mower was running fine last week when my son used it. Mowed 2 acres and shut it down. Blew off the driveway and the mower then started it back up and put it in the shop. He said there was no smoke, no strange sound but he did say it was lacking power when he was going up a small incline. Wonder if that has something to do with it.
    Lacking power could be something with the drive train, like a loose belt. And if it were run out of oil, and seized it probably would have broken the crank shaft and grenaded the engine entirely.

If it were me, I would pull the plug and bump the starter to see if anything blows out of the cylinder. If it still wont turn, then the oil and hand turn SLOWLY to make sure it isnt making grinding or popping sounds.

The rings on the piston could be bound/stuck to the cylinder wall if it were pretty hot, and should not be too difficult to break free with the right amount of oil to help them glide when they come free.

Comment

Kohler's are great motors. Very easy to rebuild if needed. I agree, pull the plugs, fill the cylinders with motor oil and obviously fill the crankcase to normal dipstick level. You might try over filling the crankcase during this trial as well. Let it sit for a few days, then put a socket and rachet on the motor and try to turn over. If you can get it to turn over, I would gently turn it over at least a dozen times with all that oil in it. Let it pump the oil out of the cylinders. Then drain the crank case and fill to correct position on dipstick. Put the plugs back in it and try to start it. It's going to smoke for alittle bit, but should clear out pretty quickly.

If it is locked up, Kohlers are easy to rebuild. Plus it will save you a ton on money. Good luck, FWIW my mower has a 25hp Kohler. Sheez I bet it's over 20 years old and still runs strong.

Comment

My kid ran my Honda self propelled without oil and it seized up. I added oil, turned it over and used a hammer on blades. It got it unstuck and has run fine since. Maybe worth a shot if you think its ruined anyway. I got the idea from youtube. Good Luck!

Comment

So have you tried to turn it manually to find out I f its actually locked up? I saw lots of folks advising that already.

Comment

50/50 diesel and ATF is a good option for stuck pistons as well.

Lots of options to try here before replacing the engine. Do some searches on YouTube. Might find some videos on that specific engine to help guide you.

I also vote for the rebuild if it is trashed and the parts cost makes it practical. Always fun working on small engines and usually will save you some cash.

Comment

You get this thing unstuck?

J

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                So have you tried to turn it manually to find out I f its actually locked up? I saw lots of folks advising that already.
                this.

And, did someone leave the dipstick open, blowing most of the oil out?

Comment

Lots of good advice above. If the engine is actually "froze/locked" up, rebuilding it is an option if the block is still in good shape (cylindar walls and or crankshaft).

But before I tore into it, I would recommend following many of the above recommendations and attempt to free the engine up by methods listed above.

Best of luck and have the son help you diagnose and fix the problem, win win situation.

I have raised 2 girls and now a son and all have tore up/oops lots of stuff during the journey, fixing self inflected mechanical issues together, almost always turns into a much greater reward than fixing the mechanical issue.........if you hear what I am stepping in! lol

Keep us updated, interested in the out come of the engine.

Rwc

Comment

Well...took both spark plugs out and put Marvels Mystery oil in there along with oil in the crank case. Tried it several times and even tried it again yesterday and the sucker is stuck bad!! I can turn the blades and the underside flywheel easily but the clutch is not engaged so that won't do it . I've just about grunted myself silly trying to turn the bolt on the top of the fly wheel and it won't go at all.

Priced a new machine comparable to what I have and it is 4-6 grand depending on the unit. A new Kohler motor is $2500. Geeezzz.

I was able to order a Briggs and Stratton 25 hp motor for $1600 and it will be delivered to my house August 1, according to the tracker.

This was a big time stupid mistake. I'm fairly handy with a wrench, not as handy as some, and checking the oil regulary should've been a basic common thing to do. I drive a 23 year old truck and do it every month but never thought of the mower. I have told my boys time and again, "you take care of your things they take care of you". This one just bit me.

Comment

Dang, that is too bad.

J

Comment

there is a 48" Gravely in the classifieds.... just saying...

Comment

Pull the clutch off and see if it’ll turn. Have had clutch’s lock up and keep motor from turning.

Comment

Sorry to hear OP. Even though you bought a new motor, keep the old one and rebuild it with your son's. They will love the adventure and it is a very easy motor to rebuild. Very well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                            X