Painting fake wood paneling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting fake wood paneling question

Getting ready to paint over the terrible looking paneling in my "vintage" house. It's not real wood, it's the smooth fake veneer looking stuff. Any special prep I need to do? A quick interweb search says everything from just paint to sand it, clean it, killz it, then paint it. Anybody do this and has it held up? Thanks in advance.

We painted our 1942 house that was remodeled in the 70s, hence the paneling. It turned out great. When we bought it, we ripped out the shag carpet and exposed beautiful wood floors. You'll love it.

Comment

Put a good coat of Kilz or BullsEye then paint it.
      Lowes also handles Bonding Primer in Valspar brand that will work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

oil base kilz then paint it, caulk in the seams if you want.

Comment

I have taken it a step further. They make a glue you can paint on that allows plaster to stick to it. We changed an ugly looking paneled wall to plastering very easily by painting with the glue and then applying plaster to the paneling. It surprisingly didn't crack.

Comment

Prime or seal it. Other wise you will be painting four or five coats.

Comment

Lite sanding, wipe down with tacky cloth, prime good then when you start painting roll it on with smooth roller then go right behind it with a 4inch brush and make one long stroke from top to bottom. That's the steps we fallowed and it turned out good.

Comment

Thanks fellas! I've got real pine panel in my kitchen that I know is a bunch of work to prep, just wanted to see what I was getting into with the fake stuff.

Comment

Lite sand.

Wipe with microfiber cloth that is dampened with denatured alcohol.

Spray with two coats of shellac-based primer.

Spray with two coats of your paint of choice.

My preferred shellac-based primer:
                  Attached Files

Comment

I did one with Kilz first then painted over it. It’s lasted many years since.

Comment

Prime it first…. Especially if they smoked in the house. It will eventually show though paint. I learned the hard way

Comment

I can post pics if you like?

Comment

Just be aware if there are any loose seams in the panels when you paint it it could bubble up

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
                            Put a good coat of Kilz or BullsEye then paint it.
                            Lowes also handles Bonding Primer in Valspar brand that will work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            This

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                              oil base kilz then paint it, caulk in the seams if you want.
                              I would suggest water based. Especially if putting a water based topcoat over the primer. Kilz is great even in the water based.

Comment

Working...
                              X