The 2021 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
    On paper, the 33 Nos looks like the one to beat.
    Sounds like a plan then haha

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
      The 6.5 PRC cartridge was my choice on last years build. (it may be on this years too)
      You should be able to choose a short or long action with this cartridge.

As a lover of efficiency and compact, lightweight rifles I struggled with the option to go short or long action. At the last minute I chose the long action for 2 good reasons...

1. The option to use longer, heavier bullets for the long range advantage.
      2. The option to re-barrel in a long action magnum cartridge in the future if so desired.

My long action 6.5 PRC still shoots Hornady factory ammo as accurately as I could want.
      To me, the minor advantage that the short action may offer does not compare to the 2 above mentioned factors. Best of both worlds & I like options.
      Agree with all of that, Jeff! I see a lot of folks get hung up on S/A vs. L/A, myself included. The truth is, there's only about 3/4" difference between the two. It's not really going to impact the OAL of the build in any significant way. Additionally, its really not going to impact the weight either. Since all of the extra length is through the middle, which is the lightest part of the action, it's only a few oz. BUT..........if you subtract the extra material taken from the L/A stock during inletting, it pretty much evens out. I'll take the extra versatility the L/A brings to the table with a short mag every time.

Comment

OK, I'm in for the Robert Special 6.5 PRC L/A. Of course, with ammo, powder, and primer availability, I may not be able to shoot it for a couple years. If you could offer the "with ammo" option, everybody would take it!

Comment

Going to order a 280ai. The ammo I want to shoot is between 150-170 preferably the Berger 168. What twist and barrel length do you all recommend. Also would a muzzle break be needed on this build. Ordered a 260 Rem and a 6.5 prc last year from APR. Both are awesome shooters. Love the rifles Robert and company build. If anyone is ordering for the first time you are going to be impressed with quality and the accuracy of these rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by Headhunter View Post
            Going to order a 280ai. The ammo I want to shoot is between 150-170 preferably the Berger 168. What twist and barrel length do you all recommend. Also would a muzzle break be needed on this build. Ordered a 260 Rem and a 6.5 prc last year from APR. Both are awesome shooters. Love the rifles Robert and company build. If anyone is ordering for the first time you are going to be impressed with quality and the accuracy of these rifles.
            I have a .280AI that Borden built for me with a 9 twist Bartlein. It shoots the 168 berger into tiny holes and also shoots the 145 LRX fantastic and the factory Nosler ammo 140's at about 1/2 MOA. I have not tried anything bigger that 168. Hope that helps you.

I can't wait to get my first APR! 6.5 PRC on L/A for me.

Lee

Comment

Thanks Ebby, thats what I was thinking 1-9 twist. You will not be disappointed in a 6.5prc with the LA from APR . I absolutely love mine. Shoots great.

Comment

Thanks Ebby, thats what I was thinking 1-9 twist. You will not be disappointed in a 6.5prc with the LA from APR . I absolutely love mine. Shoots great.

Yep 9 twist is money for heavy 7mms

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Originally posted by Ebby View Post
                  I have a .280AI that Borden built for me with a 9 twist Bartlein. It shoots the 168 berger into tiny holes and also shoots the 145 LRX fantastic and the factory Nosler ammo 140's at about 1/2 MOA. I have not tried anything bigger that 168. Hope that helps you.

I can't wait to get my first APR! 6.5 PRC on L/A for me.

Lee
                  Thanks for posting this, I was about to ask the same question. 24” barrel or can go shorter? Definitely want to take advantage of maxing out the .280ai

Comment

I’m thinking a 25” barrel with no muzzle break. That seems to be a happy place from all the research I’ve done. If I add a muzzle break it will be 24”. Now the question I have is a muzzle break necessary? Heck I may have one built by APR just to have in case my kiddos would like it later down the road.

Comment

I’m thinking a 25” barrel with no muzzle break. That seems to be a happy place from all the research I’ve done. If I add a muzzle break it will be 24”. Now the question I have is a muzzle break necessary? Heck I may have one built by APR just to have in case my kiddos would like it later down the road.
                      25” with no break is exactly what I have. I get 2950 or so with the 168’s and 3150 with the 145’s. Neither are max loads.

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Ebby View Post
                        25” with no break is exactly what I have. I get 2950 or so with the 168’s and 3150 with the 145’s. Neither are max loads.

Lee
                        any variation on speed if we shoot it with a can?
                        i believe it speeds up a little, but correct me if im wrong?

Comment

Any idea on when the price / ordering will start?

Comment

Originally posted by Texasbeanie View Post
                            Any idea on when the price / ordering will start?

Likely post Monday and take orders on Tuesday as shop isn’t open on Monday’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                              Likely post Monday and take orders on Tuesday as shop isn’t open on Monday’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Thanks I just didn’t want to miss it

Comment

Did I miss the brand of the Carbon Fiber barrel?

Comment

Working...
                                X