Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    I was out making a minor dequee adjustment. And snapped this pic. The blind folds down for travel.

[ATTACH]1028413[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1028414[/ATTACH]

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
    Sweet rig and setup! I know nothing about ducks but looks cool!

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
      Even the ducks are bigger and more plentiful at W and here I thought it was only the deer and pigs!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I like about the A lake, smaller ducks = easier to kill and carry. I'll be that direction soon enough.

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
      Sweet rig and setup! I know nothing about ducks but looks cool!

Thanks Troy! You should give it a try sometime. Although, like deer hunting and the wind, you do have to pay attention to wind direction cause they like to land into the wind. But unlike deer hunting and the wind, you don't have to worry about scent control . They are very keen to colors, and movement.

Comment

That's what I like about the A lake, smaller ducks = easier to kill and carry. I'll be that direction soon enough.

Thanks Troy! You should give it a try sometime. Although, like deer hunting and the wind, you do have to pay attention to wind direction cause they like to land into the wind. But unlike deer hunting and the wind, you don't have to worry about scent control . They are very keen to colors, and movement.
        I've had many tell me duck hunting is the most fun! I've never been and feel like it would be hard to get me out of the deer woods to go after ducks but I do want to try it some day!

Comment

Troy, there is nothing like sliding across the ice that has formed on the front of a boat across Lake Aquilla, and standing in freezing water on a small island, and trying to control 2 dogs, just for the opportunity to eat a couple of nasty ducks. You should try it!

Comment

When I was a kid we used to hunt lake lavon. We were out in the lake when the outboard quit working. The temp was dropping and the lake started to freeze over. We broke ice and paddled the two miles back to the launch. That's the worst duck hunt I've ever been on. It was a blast. Type II fun!

Mike, is that an Avery blind? I've got an Avery but I need more fake grass to cover it. That should be here Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post

Mike, is that an Avery blind? I've got an Avery but I need more fake grass to cover it. That should be here Thursday.
              Not an Avery. It's a Berry's Blind. I built it out of aluminum to save weight in the boat. It has 4 peices. I have a thread on all the stuff I've done to the boat including the blind build, in the DIY forum. Look for Life and Mods of a River Jon or something like that. Or you can click my profile and pull up all the threads I've started under "Stats".

Comment

I seen the W lake freeze over a few times. And have had to break ice to set dequees out. Then watch them freeze in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  Troy, there is nothing like sliding across the ice that has formed on the front of a boat across Lake Aquilla, and standing in freezing water on a small island, and trying to control 2 dogs, just for the opportunity to eat a couple of nasty ducks. You should try it!
                  This made me lol!

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                    This made me lol!

He was with me that day . I had fun anyway.

Comment

He was with me that day . I had fun anyway.
                      You were in the back, I was the windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                        You were in the back, I was the windshield.

You can be my windshield anytime.

It was hard to believe those old tractor parts were still on that mud pile despite being underwater all that time, before the lake receded that year. Probably still there too.

Comment

Was excited

Was excited about first trip to Whitney this year. Way back in b-6 by boat. Was sitting about an hour, then hear lots of noise. 6 guys, no orange, come chopping through with machetes. I was nervous about asking them to turn around, most didn’t seem to understand English.

Comment

Sounds about like a group I know of. They musta got a boat I guess.

Comment

Sounds like the group that used to hunt lbj for turkeys during deer season. They'd fan out and walk thru an entire unit to try and bust up flocks then try to call them back. Didn't care if they walked right thru your set up or not. They'd just keep going without even acknowledging you.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck to the quack hunters this morning.

Hope you wore your insulated undies... might be some frost on the punkin.

[emoji16][emoji51][emoji33]

Comment

Working...
                                X