The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
    For me, and my brother (millman) this year ain't over yet! We head to AZ on the 22nd for late season archery! I am working on a 3 year drought ( my longest ever ) that I need to STOP! We don't know much about the area, or exactly what tactics will work, so I am not feeling overly picky on quality of bull. Of course that may change once we get there and evaluate things.
    Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

Comment

Back to the Top. Got my KUIU ordered for Christmas and me and a buddy have decided to sign up for the Train to Hunt challenge this summer in Denver. They are going to have a team challenge, not for everyone but it is already gotten my mind around training this winter. ha ha ha I also do a lot of work in Denver, so I can kill two birds with one stone.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        Back to the Top. Got my KUIU ordered for Christmas and me and a buddy have decided to sign up for the Train to Hunt challenge this summer in Denver. They are going to have a team challenge, not for everyone but it is already gotten my mind around training this winter. ha ha ha I also do a lot of work in Denver, so I can kill two birds with one stone.

http://traintohunt.com/challenges/#.UqtPXUnTmP8
        This this really really cool.

Gonna give it some thought.

Comment

I know most elk hunts are done by now but I still get to look forward to my son's cow elk hunt in the Gila!! Come on December 26th. His first elk will be hard to beat if we can get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
            I know most elk hunts are done by now but I still get to look forward to my son's cow elk hunt in the Gila!! Come on December 26th. His first elk will be hard to beat if we can get it done.
            Good luck to your son and his guide!

Comment

Good luck to him!!!

Comment

Has anyone hunted around the Durango, CO area???

Comment

Heading to unit 34 3rd week of January for a late season private land rifle elk hunt. Hopefully there is a lot of snow up high and pushes the elk down on to this ranch. I'd rather hunt elk with a bow and call for them during the rut but I just couldn't pass on this hard to get tag at a decent price. Hoping for a 320-350 class bull but will be happy to bring home any bull in the end. Ranch borders south side of Lincoln National Forest and north side of White Sands Missle range.

Comment

Well Chad...how did the hunt go?

Comment

Danny, just back yesterday and have not had a chance to post yet. He dropped the hammer on his first elk at 10 years old.

It was a great trip and a proud moment to share an elk hunt with him. He was super pumped.

Comment

Well done man!

Comment

Danny, just back yesterday and have not had a chance to post yet. He dropped the hammer on his first elk at 10 years old.

It was a great trip and a proud moment to share an elk hunt with him. He was super pumped.

Nicely done....Big Congrats to your son!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                            Has anyone hunted around the Durango, CO area???
                            Not tremendously close but I hunted NW of there around a little town called Dunton, CO...Unit 71.

Comment

Simply AWE-SOME!!!! Thank you Thank You Thank You for passing along the oldest of all traditions. We need it now, more than ever. Good for all of you and especially the hunter.

Comment

Ok guys, I have two questions.

1) I am getting a new to me Bowtech Experience at 29" and 70 lbs, and was curious what arrow/broadhead set up y'all would suggest? I have done trad only for the past 4 years, and am out of the loop on new broadhead/arrow combos. I am doing an antelope and elk hunt this fall. I want to shoot long distances will plenty of momentum when it gets there. Any suggestions???

2) For early season tactics, like first 10 days of season, how would you hunt elk? Up high before daylight and spot anything I can work down on once the winds stabilize and then hunt water/wallows in the evenings???? Any other suggestions or ideas?
                                I will either be hunting southwest Colorado or central Montana, if that helps at all.

Thanks again, with Jan 1 upon us, only 9 more months until elk season!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X