Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First hog hunt of the year and busted again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First hog hunt of the year and busted again.

The wind was from the N and my stand faces the east. He came from the east and circled around to the SE of the feeder and stopped. Here is where I think I screwed up. I changed the batteries in the camera because I didn't want to do this in the dark. He never got to where I was standing, he threw his head up and I swear looked right at me and ran off. I just don't think he got far enough down wind to get me. Did he smell where I had walked without ever getting near my tracks?

Originally posted by oktx View Post
    The wind was from the N and my stand faces the east. He came from the east and circled around to the SE of the feeder and stopped. Here is where I think I screwed up. I changed the batteries in the camera because I didn't want to do this in the dark. He never got to where I was standing, he threw his head up and I swear looked right at me and ran off. I just don't think he got far enough down wind to get me. Did he smell where I had walked without ever getting near my tracks?
    A few possibilities here.

Could have smelled you and ran off just on principle.

Remember to scuff your boots in some kind of plants, deer droppings or cow patties to diffuse some of our civilized world smell.

If he saw you and you're bigger than he was he probably said to himself "I don't know what that thing is but he can have all the corn he wants, I'll come back later!"

A least that's what they say to me when they run off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
      A few possibilities here.

Could have smelled you and ran off just on principle.

Remember to scuff your boots in some kind of plants, deer droppings or cow patties to diffuse some of our civilized world smell.

If he saw you and you're bigger than he was he probably said to himself "I don't know what that thing is but he can have all the corn he wants, I'll come back later!"

A least that's what they say to me when they run off.
      I swear there is no way he could have seen me. It was 6:15 and I was 12 feet up and motionless. It sure looked like he looked right at me.

Comment

Smelled something!!

Comment

He smelled you. only one way to beat a hogs nose, we do it every time.

Comment

"Slider...(snif snif) you stink" Tom Cruze in Top Gun

J/K

You will get him next time.

Comment

Is your bow lit up like a chrismas tree? Hogs CAN see in color.

Comment

Originally posted by HWC View Post
                He smelled you. only one way to beat a hogs nose, we do it every time.
                How do yall do it. I get above 20 feet and that seems to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bweger View Post
                  How do yall do it. I get above 20 feet and that seems to work.
                  I can't go any higher than 12 in this tree. My other choice is a pop up but I think this would be worse. I thought he had to smell where I walked to the camera, but he was about 10 yards from where I walked. My last two hunts they came from or tried to get down wind of me.

Comment

If you have been in that stand more than a couple times and shot hogs out of it they will pattern you. I hunted a group of 12 hogs for 6 months and after I killed 2 of them I had to move because the hogs would get to about 40 yards still in the brush and look up at that stand to see if I was there before they came in.

Comment

If you have been in that stand more than a couple times and shot hogs out of it they will pattern you. I hunted a group of 12 hogs for 6 months and after I killed 2 of them I had to move because the hogs would get to about 40 yards still in the brush and look up at that stand to see if I was there before they came in.
                      This guy was new and I had never hunted him before. Like I said, they are all coming from down wind. I can hunt it with any wind but a west wind.
                      Last edited by oktx; 01-16-2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

If you have a sight light on your bow and had it on he probably saw that. I cant remember how many times I have been busted by hogs because of my sight light

Comment

If you have a sight light on your bow and had it on he probably saw that. I cant remember how many times I have been busted by hogs because of my sight light
                          Light was not on yet. I was going to need to turn the sight on. I don't I think was going to need the hog light to shoot him.

Comment

you dont need to be way up in the air. i hunt them successfully on the ground all the time if not everytime. those big boys circle, so predict that next time. set up on his path around the feeder. always look for the upper hand on the big hogs. little ones or under 180 lbs or so generally dont bust folks as much so people get comfortable solely hunting the feeder. but you gotta think like you are hunting a big mature deer, they know the easy tricks and thats why they have gotten old

good luck and stick to it

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                              Light was not on yet. I was going to need to turn the sight on. I don't I think was going to need the hog light to shoot him.
                              He saw something he didnt like not sure what. Hogs are some smart critters.

Comment

Working...
                              X