Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Warden/Mentally Retarded/Need imput

Hey Guys/Girls
    I have a predicament of sorts. Thirteen years ago my son's brain was damaged by a 2 1/2 hour grand mal seizure. Doctors tried to stop it using different drugs but it was not stopped until the Life Flight team got ahold of him (go figure) and gave him a shot of Valium. Fast forward 13 years.
    He is now 15. According to the school's standardized test, my son's I.Q. is 55, which is in the mildly retarded range. Sometimes he seems smarter than that and sometimes he does not. It is what it is. Here is the predicament:
    I do not think he can pass the Hunter's Safety Exam. So, would yall take him out and let him shoot and risk a citation or do you think the game wardens would let me slide as long as he is with me? I would appreciate your imput as well as any game warden's as well.
    Blessings,
    Hogmauler

Check into more with TPWD.

Comment

I hope our great State has a "common sense" exception to the Hunter Safety requirement as long as he is with you. I really hope so.

sometimes common sense to me is not "common" to others

Comment

I believe he can hunt WITH you legally(till 17) without the hunters ed.

For a future / permanent solution, you may want to apply with TP&W for a waiver(if one exist) as long as you are with him.

Comment

Let him hunt with you......

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            I believe he can hunt WITH you legally(till 17) without the hunters ed.

For a future / permanent solution, you may want to apply with TP&W for a waiver(if one exist) as long as you are with him.
            This is correct as far as I know.

Comment

The age is seventeen and then he can get a one year one time extension. As for a waiver I am not sure if one exists but for cases like his I think there should be.. Good luck to you.

Comment

How do you know he won't pass the hunter safety course? Think of how great he would feel when he passed, even if it took a time or two. As far as I know, there's no limit to the number of times a person can take it. Also, there's no law against you, or anybody else, tutoring him.

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
                  How do you know he won't pass the hunter safety course? Think of how great he would feel when he passed, even if it took a time or two. As far as I know, there's no limit to the number of times a person can take it. Also, there's no law against you, or anybody else, tutoring him.
                  I like that post!

Comment

Guys to hunt in texas you have to have a hunting license. Age has nothing to do with it. When we first moved here, the state we moved here from did not require a hunting license until age 16, I searched the hunting regs and only found age sixteen for fishing. We got a ticket and had to go before the justice of the pease. The regs clearly state to hunt in texas you have to have a hunting license.

Hogmauler, to answer your question of what I would do, I would take him to my blind, seat with him and let him shot a deer. Than tag it with my tag. If he likes it I would persue getting him a license somehow with the state. If he does not you don't have a problem with a license. So people like it some don't.

Comment

I would almost bet the instructors giving the Hunters Ed class would help him pass.

Comment

most of the hunters ed class can be done online I believe, it might be worth a shot

Comment

I believe they can also do a verbal test instead of a written.....just check with an instructor. They'll make sure he understands what he "needs" to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by GR5 View Post
                            I would almost bet the instructors giving the Hunters Ed class would help him pass.
                            When my kids took it the whole class was kids and the instructors let the adults explain some of the questions. You could not tell them the answers but you could help them understand what they were being asked.
                            The other thing that they did was they split the test up where the kids got tested on half of the material and then covered the 2nd half of the material

I am pretty sure that the state will work with you to help get your son hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                              Hey Guys/Here is the predicament:
                              I do not think he can pass the Hunter's Safety Exam. So, would yall take him out and let him shoot and risk a citation or do you think the game wardens would let me slide as long as he is with me? I would appreciate your imput as well as any game warden's as well.
                              Blessings,
                              Hogmauler
                              I am in no way being rude or by any means being offencive towardss your kid but if your are concerned about him passing a hunting test written or verbal in your mind is he or will he be fit to hunt by his self . I would be concerned with his safety . I am just wondering how you feel about his ability as his father in him to be alone in the woods with a rifle , bow or what ever . Just my asking a question with no harm ment ?

Comment

Working...
                              X