Freezer / Meat Cooler Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezer / Meat Cooler Maintenance

Just a friendly reminder to defrost your freezers every once in a while. Yesterday my temperature alert (link below; best $11 I've ever spent) was beeping, and sure enough the garage freezer was at 23 degrees. Took all the meat out, gently sprayed the coils with a garden hose until all ice melted, then allowed to dry. Today it's at -10 degrees on the same setting. That once-in-a-while defrost sure does help.

But seriously, if your freezer doesn't already have an alert system, spend $11 to protect all your stuff: http://www.amazon.com/TA20-Audio-Vis.../dp/B000I62FQI

If you keep yours outside, make sure it's covered properly. Last spring, the seal on ours must have released in the big storm and it filled up. It was not fun chipping away all that ice to save our meat. Probably took about 15 hours total to do. Managed to not break the packaging on most meat
    Attached Files

Comment

we had a power outtage here a few years back and I didn't think anything about the garage fridge and freezer until I got that wif, we have a detached garage so when I walked in there boy what a mess and waste of wild game. so I'm gonna get an alert thanx for sharing

Comment

Hey thanks for the tip/link. I got mine on order.

Comment

Good idea

Comment

Thanks for the tip and yeah planning on a defrost this weekend. The more often you do so, the more efficiently it will work.

Comment

Working...
            X