Game Warden/Mentally Retarded/Need imput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!
    Looks like we found our answer! Darren a special thanks to you for the work you do for special needs people and for providing me with the information I need. Maybe I can teach him to shoot a firearm. I bought him a new bow and arrows and couldnt teach him how to look through the peep sight. $300.00 down the tube sitting in the closet. May not sound like much to some, but considering our part of his medicine after insurance is $3,000 a year you will start to get the feeling of how critical money becomes.
    Another special shout out to all of you who offered your advice and encouragement. Thank you so much. The next time you see someone with a special needs child please take the time to send up an arrow prayer (right then) for that child. Its hard to imagine the rejection and loneliness these kids go through. Lord bless all of yall.

Comment

Your a class act Hogmauler, and you son is blessed to have you!

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
        How do you know he won't pass the hunter safety course? Think of how great he would feel when he passed, even if it took a time or two. As far as I know, there's no limit to the number of times a person can take it. Also, there's no law against you, or anybody else, tutoring him.
        X2

Comment

[QUOTE=Darren;2124305]Guys just slow down on the encouragement to break the rules. It is not necessary. TPWD provides a way for these special folks to hunt. Here forget the pm. Here is the information from the director of hunter education for the state of Texas and how you get the waiver.
          [/QUOTE

Darren - very cool - keep up the good work
          Hogmauler - very cool Dad - God bless you

Comment

I was just gonna say ask Darren

and here's one for Darren and the guys and gals he works with

Comment

he can hunt with you til hes seventeen but why dont you work with him on the guidelines they will go over in hunters safety until he feels comfortable taking the class... just call the tpwd and tell them the situation and request some study material that will give him an upper hand from studying on it for a while before the class... or just pm me because my dad is a hunters safety instructor and may still have some material since it has been a while since he has taught a class but i can talk to him and get back to you... just shoot me a pm if you want

Comment

I guess I should have read the post from Darren before posting myself but if I can help at all let me know... It makes me extremely happy to see fathers like Hogmauler and i cant wait to have a child of my own. It also is nice to see we have people like Darren here to help out people in situations like this.

Comment

if he will not be hunting alone he will never need the hunter safety course, all he needs is a license.The safety course isn't needed to get his license.

Comment

Take him with you when ever you can. Take it one step at a time.

Comment

darren = wise man indeed
                      i have always said if you want to know something ya gots to ask someone who knows..

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        Hey Guys/Girls
                        I have a predicament of sorts. Thirteen years ago my son's brain was damaged by a 2 1/2 hour grand mal seizure. Doctors tried to stop it using different drugs but it was not stopped until the Life Flight team got ahold of him (go figure) and gave him a shot of Valium. Fast forward 13 years.
                        He is now 15. According to the school's standardized test, my son's I.Q. is 55, which is in the mildly retarded range. Sometimes he seems smarter than that and sometimes he does not. It is what it is. Here is the predicament:
                        I do not think he can pass the Hunter's Safety Exam. So, would yall take him out and let him shoot and risk a citation or do you think the game wardens would let me slide as long as he is with me? I would appreciate your imput as well as any game warden's as well.
                        Blessings,
                        Hogmauler
                        I have not read the info in a while but I do believe it states that if an individual does not have their HSC cert they must be accompanied by an adult who does or who is one that has been grandfathered into the cert.

Not 100% on this but I would check.. Any over the counter game law book will have this info. Do I believe a Warden would do a common sense call on this 50/50.....

Comment

way to step up darren and good luck hogmauler...hope you and your son are plinking cans and shooting deer in no time at all

Comment

Way to go Dad!!

Your son is fortunate he has a dad like you! He may not be aware of all of the dangers and bad things that can happen to him while hunting but you are, and you can provide the love and protection he needs while spending quality time with your son. He may not be able to put it into words but I know you must be the whole world to him. If you need a place to shoot does and turkeys for him in the Post, Texas area give me a call. 806 789 6027

Comment

My wife is a special ed teacher who specializes in individuals just like your son. I showed her this and she is very willing to help you work with him if you decide to take the test. She can give you pointers and advice on how to transfer the information to him so he can pass. Please let me know if we can help. Prayers go out to both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                                Your son is fortunate he has a dad like you! He may not be aware of all of the dangers and bad things that can happen to him while hunting but you are, and you can provide the love and protection he needs while spending quality time with your son. He may not be able to put it into words but I know you must be the whole world to him. If you need a place to shoot does and turkeys for him in the Post, Texas area give me a call. 806 789 6027
                                Nice offer to the gentleman/father!I come through there sometimes going to Jayton.I stop there and check on my moms grave and pay respects...nice little town.

Comment

Working...
                                X