Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've seen/heard tomato juice recommended

Comment

I have used the peroxide/baking soda mix on skunk hides and it works about as good as anything you will find. I've never used it on a dog, but it worked on actual skunks.

You will still have a lingering smell.

Comment

Originally posted by beerslayer View Post
        Summers eves ******.

I am scared to ask, but how do you know this? Who was the first person to try this, and what made them think it would even work??

Comment

I have used tomato sauce before and it worked, still had a lingering smell and turned my brittany spaniel red for awhile.

Comment

Never tried it, but I have heard that ****** works very well.

Comment

tomato juice works. This peroxide/baking soda recipe sounds a lot like the scent killer we use too. It would be cheaper and easier to use than tomato juice too.

Comment

Thread reminded me of it, so I just thought I'd share..........

Was dating a girl who had a yorkie (worthless dog) that she absolutely spoiled (necklaces, bows, etc.........). She was going out of town for a week and asked me to keep the dog. She lived in the city, I live in the country. After three days of constant yapping and sheeting all over my house, I put the dog outside. First night the dog wouldn't leave the back door. Next day I get home to find that the dog got in a fight with a skunk (managed to kill it). Needless to say dog smelled terrible. Tried the tomato/baking soda/****** tricks to no avail. Finally resorted to bringing the dog to the "salon" that she normally went to for her haircuts. They had to shave the **** dog! Girlfriend came back from her trip to find her dog shaved down to his bare skin, aside from the head. We didn't date long after that.

Comment

Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
                  Again, great idea....... but do you have the ratios? Or do you just wing it?
                  Use this ratio to mix as much as you need. Tomato juice only makes your dog smell like tomato juice. lol

1 cup 2% hydrogen peroxide
                  1 tbs baking soda
                  1 tbs dawn dish soap

The baking soda and peroxide change the chemical composition of the sulfur part of skunk spray into an inert compound. I forget the exact chemistry. The dawn soap cuts the oily base.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                    I am scared to ask, but how do you know this? Who was the first person to try this, and what made them think it would even work??
                    Im sure it had something to do with "hold my beer and watch this".

Comment

Originally posted by badger16 View Post
                      I have used the peroxide/baking soda mix on skunk hides and it works about as good as anything you will find. I've never used it on a dog, but it worked on actual skunks.

You will still have a lingering smell.
                      How do you get the skunk to sit still when you are washing them down? WILL THIS ALSO WORK ON HOMELESS BUMS? LOL

Comment

HWC, thanks for the offer but he is getting treatment of some sort as soon as I get home today so no time for shipment.

Comment

When I first read the title I thought...can't the dog just shake the dang thing off of him....if not just grab it off his back.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            HWC, thanks for the offer but he is getting treatment of some sort as soon as I get home today so no time for shipment.
                            Understand, hope the other works for you and the hound dont stink no more...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                              How do you get the skunk to sit still when you are washing them down? WILL THIS ALSO WORK ON HOMELESS BUMS? LOL
                              BAHAHAHAHAHAHA...And they called big foot stinky..

Comment

Originally posted by deer_hoyter View Post
                                I have used tomato sauce before and it worked, still had a lingering smell and turned my brittany spaniel red for awhile.
                                Same here

Comment

Working...
                                X