GT Hunter XT or Axis 5mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GT Hunter XT or Axis 5mm

About to build a new set of hunting arrows. I will be going with 300 spine and probably adding 50-100 grain brass inserts depending on which one I chose. I’ve shot axis but it’s been awhile. No experience with that GT, but curious to see how they compare.

Good luck on the the tuning.

Comment

I just built some Axis 5mm with 50gr inserts,30” length and 260 spine.They are about 574grs with 125gr points and I’m shooting a 29.5 draw 72lb bow.I haven’t shot them yet but I’ll let ya know how they do.This is my first time to build an arrow myself and I’m at about 11.5% foc.Gotta paper tune it when I get some time off from work but I ordered everything from NockOn and they were great to deal with,I had to return some 300 spine FMJs when I realized I needed a 260 spine and they didn’t have the FMJs in that spine.

Comment

Axis all day every day for me. I love themes. They are super durable for me and when tuned with the bow fly like darts. I can group fixed and field points at 80 easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
          About to build a new set of hunting arrows. I will be going with 300 spine and probably adding 50-100 grain brass inserts depending on which one I chose. I’ve shot axis but it’s been awhile. No experience with that GT, but curious to see how they compare.
          Aren’t you like a 30” DL?

If so, you need to go to 250 spine unless you’re shooting 60lbs.

I just built some Victory RIP TKO’s with the Ethics Archery static adjustable half outs and 125 grain point. The half out inserts are adjustable from 50-100 grains. I cut them at the 90 grain line and gave me a TAW of 475 grains with right at 20% FOC. These shafts shoot AMAZING and all the tolerances are excellent. I built 24 arrows and every single one of them is within 1 grain for total weight.

Comment

GT Hunter XT or Axis 5mm

specs
            Hoyt RX3
            28” DL
            72#
            Axis 300 28”
            Three heat vanes
            Standard nock
            Aluminum hit insert
            Iron Will 25 grain collar
            100 grain head
            468 grains
            279-280 FPS
            12.8%-13% FOC

These hit hard and punch through anything I shoot. Killed an elk that hit behind the shoulder, defected off the rib. And came out the back hind quarter at 20 yards, zipped through another elk through the thickest part of his shoulders at 55 yards and stuck 3” into the ground 20 yards behind him, complete pass through on a whitetail at 81 yards with a trypan, and zipped through a 150 pound pig at 20 yards and I never found the arrow. Should prolly switch to lighted nocks. I’d have zero doubt shooting this set up at anything in North America. Obviously there are certain animals with bones that would stop this arrow but at the same time they’d stop just about any other so it’s about shot placement. Hopefully that gives you some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Axis

Comment

I’ve shot both and I’m shooting the Axis. I know there are a lot of good arrows out there but I really like the Axis. It’s one of my favorite hunting arrows.

I epoxy the inserts and use the bar 5 broadhead adapters with my new favorite vanes...AAE Hybrid 26.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                  Aren’t you like a 30” DL?

If so, you need to go to 250 spine unless you’re shooting 60lbs.

I just built some Victory RIP TKO’s with the Ethics Archery static adjustable half outs and 125 grain point. The half out inserts are adjustable from 50-100 grains. I cut them at the 90 grain line and gave me a TAW of 475 grains with right at 20% FOC. These shafts shoot AMAZING and all the tolerances are excellent. I built 24 arrows and every single one of them is within 1 grain for total weight.
                  Yessir 30” draw. I am was hoping to build an arrow that will shoot fine at 60-70 Incase I want to swap out mods.

My last arrows were 250 carnivores with 120 grains up front and a 100 grain point coming in at 545 grains. Me and the fellas at Texas Archery couldn’t get them to paper tune. I could get perfect tears with their 300 FMJ. I’m a rookie on the tech side of bowhunting, but they said I was overspined.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                    I’ve shot both and I’m shooting the Axis. I know there are a lot of good arrows out there but I really like the Axis. It’s one of my favorite hunting arrows.

I epoxy the inserts and use the bar 5 broadhead adapters with my new favorite vanes...AAE Hybrid 26.
                    I am actually looking at the Hybrids for the build. Have you shot any fixed heads with them or strictly mechanical?

Comment

I am actually looking at the Hybrids for the build. Have you shot any fixed heads with them or strictly mechanical?
                      Yes out of my VXR. They are shooting the same as my field tips but haven’t shot broadheads past 20 yards with them yet.

I love those Hybrid vanes. They are lower profile and super easy to apply...They are stuck like chuck on the Axis. I’m just using the Gorilla Super glue on ‘em.

Comment

Here’s a picture of the Hybrids.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Not a fan of the hit Inserts and hate outserts but the actual axis arrow is great and the new 6mm Easton's I've read are thin walled and weaker.

GT is one of the toughest arrows on the market and the fact system makes them ultra tunable.

I shoot GT xt hunters now and dont have any intentions of switching, but if I did it would be to axis/fmj.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                            Here’s a picture of the Hybrids.
                            What are full specs for your build?

Comment

What are full specs for your build?
                              Mathews VXR
                              28” draw and 70lbs

Easton Axis 340 spine at shaft length 27.75”
                              Total weight is 426 grains with no extra added weights. (Just the Bar 5 adapter).
                              3 fletch AAE Hybrid 26.

I’ve messed around with higher FOC with different set ups but I’m super happy with what I’m using now.

I’m running a happy medium FOC for me at 10.1%

I ran the same arrows out of my Hoyt but had the 2” blazer vanes on ‘em them.

Comment

Working...
                              X