Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are the Beef/Chicken/Pig Ranchers doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still have it there. Just once a month. We are closed herd... so if we’re selling it, you don’t wanna milk it. Lol

Weigh cows go SS or winnsboro typically.. Emory as last resort but they pay better than buzzards

Comment

they usually run a good many calves at winnsboro? I’m thinkin about grazing some for a while this year and see how it goes,

Comment

Ranchers are losing and feed lots are losing but the processers (middleman) have a monopoly only about 4-5 major companies left are making $400-$500 a head. Just ain't right and the government needs to step in.

Comment

No. It’s on the verge of bankruptcy is what I hear

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
            Ranchers are losing and feed lots are losing but the processers (middleman) have a monopoly only about 4-5 major companies left are making $400-$500 a head. Just ain't right and the government needs to step in.
            I’ll make 7/8 of this thread mad.....

But over 60% are herds so small they are just beer money. If they loose money... they buy keystone vs coors. They sell as a hobby and right off.... BUT they are a majority in the grand scheme of things. They produce enough to fill the need

With milk, I am forced to milk or they die.. period. Now I have milk!... I take what they offer or drink 14,000 a day myself. We have to feed... so we have to acquire feed bills... they gotta be paid..... we have such an over surplus 1/2 could close tomorrow (and might) and the world would never blink an eye

I don’t know how to make it better, wish I did. Just what I observe. Our Government has done enough... they ain’t the solution. Other than a trade deal... and then the final hand will take the cash

Comment

Yes I’ve read folks talkin about the beef industry goin the way chicken has. I don’t know how long it would take but I can remember a lot of small chicken producers around , mostly egg but some broiler that haven’t been able to make it. A few big companies now call all the shots

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                I’ll make 7/8 of this thread mad.....

But over 60% are herds so small they are just beer money. If they loose money... they buy keystone vs coors. They sell as a hobby and right off.... BUT they are a majority in the grand scheme of things. They produce enough to fill the need

With milk, I am forced to milk or they die.. period. Now I have milk!... I take what they offer or drink 14,000 a day myself. We have to feed... so we have to acquire feed bills... they gotta be paid..... we have such an over surplus 1/2 could close tomorrow (and might) and the world would never blink an eye

I don’t know how to make it better, wish I did. Just what I observe. Our Government has done enough... they ain’t the solution. Other than a trade deal... and then the final hand will take the cash
                An investment is an investment, whether its a few head or hundreds. As you acknowledged, they add up to to the majority. If thats what you call beer money then I’ll have what you’re drinkin

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                  An investment is an investment, whether its a few head or hundreds. As you acknowledged, they add up to to the majority. If thats what you call beer money then I’ll have what you’re drinkin
                  Selling 10 calves a year vs 500 is apples and bowling balls. Most could loose the whole herd and make their car payment vs swallow a gun barrel (suicide in the cattle industry is at an all time high. I’m not making light of it).

Comment

Originally posted by ditchdigger2 View Post
                    Yes I’ve read folks talkin about the beef industry goin the way chicken has. I don’t know how long it would take but I can remember a lot of small chicken producers around , mostly egg but some broiler that haven’t been able to make it. A few big companies now call all the shots
                    Pilgrims, Tyson or Sanderson... or eat a bunch of chicken. Lol

By time you pay off $1M per house (typically scheduled around 12 years I think with most)... time for mandatory “retrofitting”... and the cycle repeats on and on and on. Plus they finance too! Imagine that

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      Selling 10 calves a year vs 500 is apples and bowling balls. Most could loose the whole herd and make their car payment vs swallow a gun barrel (suicide in the cattle industry is at an all time high. I’m not making light of it).

Thats why I got rid of my cattle a few years ago and sold my stock trailer. Just wasn't worth it to me. Currently letting my cousin run his cattle on my property.

Comment

Weigh cows last week... 1st calf heifer. Excellent shape just 2 teated...$0.33 a pound
                        Heavy cow- $0.53 a pound

Milk from $0.19 down to $0.15 and falling

They are now DUMPING milk no place to take it...

Comment

I have commercial chicken houses and we can't keep up. Egg market hit an all time high earlier this week. It's fell off a little towards the end.

Broiler houses cost closer to $300/$400k. Layer houses cost about $600k and up. Depending on how fancy you want them.

Comment

I dont see any feed prices falling though.

Comment

I'm not a pig guy, but sat in on the pig show in SA for a while this year. I was told the truck price was like $.15/lb.it may have been lower.

People were generous to the show kids on steers we got stuck with. We got $1.65. Other I know got $2.00.

What cracks me up is we have a few pygmy goats just for grins. We sell little ones for yard art around here for the 10 acre 'ranchers' from Cali. Usually $125 each.

A month ago I couldn't find a buyer. A buddy was taking a load of goats to Fredericksburg and took him. 40 lb crappy Goat brought $3.00/pound. If he was intact, would have been $3.50. That's what middle easterners want. Heck, packing weight on a Goat for $3/lb is a no brainer. And hitch-hiking them to auction vs having a lib-tard come to my place and hug goats is another no-brainer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Tex_Cattleman; 04-03-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

We are in the chicken business also, we have two Tyson broiler farms but the current events haven’t increased our end any actually it’s more on the slow end. At busy times we would be about two weeks between flocks but currently it’s a month or little more.

Comment

Working...
                                X