Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
    Got'em all but Teaberry gum.
    You want to laugh? I use those old metal ice cube trays as part bins on my gun bench Depression era parents taught me to throw nothing away.
    How about no seatbelts and sitting on the armrest next to Dad. Riding in the back of the pickup. Your folks smoking in the car with you.
    Oh boy the list goes on.
    How did we survive?
    Laying down on the rear dash of the car to take a nap?

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
      aw.........you just watched "Once upon a time in Hollywoood"
      No, don't know of that show. I just remember that smell of freshly broken ice cubes and dropping them in a real glass then some of mama's icetea

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
        Laying down on the rear dash of the car to take a nap?
        All that and styrofoam coolers you better not break or dad was gonna do some arse whopping

Comment

All but butch wax.

Gary

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
              Who remembers your phone number starting with letters? Mine was Fleetwood1-4506, short version FL1-4506.

I know Burnadell will remember this.

Myrtle3.............693
              I remember all of them and many more
              Skate key
              Clove gum
              cokes/beer that had to be opened with a "church Key". No pop tops

Comment

6 and 7 were before my days, not sure what number 9 is.

All of the guys that remember teaberry gum and don't remember blackjack, must have been from a different part of the state or country from, where I grew up. I have seen blackjack not that long ago, never heard of teaberry.

Comment

16 out of 17.

My Favorite pair of shoes as a kid were PF Flyers. Run Faster, Jump Higher.

I don't remember newsreels. Did sneak into the drive-in in the trunk of a friends car once or twice though.

S&H stamps as well as Gunn Brothers and Gold Bond.

I must be getting old, don't feel it but I don't know who that old fat guy in the mirror is.

Parents phone number was Emerson4-3410
                  Last edited by dagdog; 03-30-2020, 09:45 PM. Reason: Add phone number

Comment

When I was a kid, I used to go out to the family farm and spend the summer out there or any other time I was out of school.
                    Unk, was everybody's uncle, in the family, everybody called him Unk, or maybe it should be Unc. But he lived in a old ranch house, it's still stands, but it's abandoned, I found it a couple years ago. The house was built in the 1920s at the most recent, likely 20 years older. Pier and beam house, long house, with lots of doors, doors going outside from each room. Bed rooms on each end of the house, old metal frame beds, about the side of a kids bed now days. With springs on the frame, and a down mattress. The kitchen was in the middle of the house, to the west of the kitchen was the tack room. it was full of old tack, he had not really used the tack room in years, mainly stored food in that room. Had stuff piled high, on the far wall from the kitchen. Pretty hard to get to the bed room on the other side of the tack room, he had not had any hands working on the ranch in many years, so it had not been used in a long time.
                    So he used the bed room on the east end of the house. There were four beds in that room, if I remember correctly, one or two doors that led outside, one to the front and the other the end of the house.
                    He had a old refrigerator from probably the 1940s, he kept his bread in a old Butter Krust bread can. He had a old gas stove he used to cook on. Made his coffee in one of those old metal coffee pots. Pretty sure he had a wood burning stove also on the other side of the kitchen opposite the side where the gas stove and refrigerator were on, those were on the west side of the kitchen. Then he had a old metal frame kitchen table and chairs.
                    Every morning the routine was, he woke me up, he made coffee on the stove, then he cooked us eggs and bacon, then made some toast. We would eat breakfast, once he was done making breakfast, he would get his bag of Tabaco down, cigarette paper and his cigarette roller. Then he would make up all the cigarettes he needed for the day, then put the cigarette stuff away and put the cigarettes in his shirt pocket. Then we went out to the fields to work for the day. We did this same routine everyday. What work we did each day, depended on the time of year.

At night during the summer, we slept with the windows open, listening to the coyotes. The he had a old metal fan that he turned on, if there was no breeze. During the winter, he had some large flint rocks, that he would put in the wood burning stove a few hours before we went to bed. He would heat up two for each bed. Those got wrapped in old wool blankets and put at the foot of the bed under the covers. He would then put some more rocks in the stove and let them get heated up. Because the rocks you went to bed with would cool off, before morning. Sometime at night, he would get up, take the other rocks from the stove and switch them out.
                    Unk never changed, he did everything the same till he died. He died sometime in the later 1980s. When I would go out to the farm, as we called it, back in the 70s and 80s, this is what you could expect or the daily routine.

For many years, when I went to Unk's place, there was a small piece of land, that I think used to be owned by Unk, that he sold to the old Mexican couple across the road from him. That piece of land was right on the corner of the road out front of his place and HWY 181, south of what used to be called Midway, which is about five miles south of the intersection of 624 and 181. Back then the old Mexican couple had a small wooden store, the whole store was probably no more than 20'X 20'. Old wooden building, pier and beam. Had wooden shelves and boxes that goods were in. Like the stuff you see in movies about the 1800s. They usually had fresh eggs, other goods people out there needed. They had candy in some of the wooden boxes, best way I can describe the divided wooden containers that had the various candies they carried. I don't think they had any refrigerated coolers, so everything was fresh or canned. That place closed down sometime in the early 80s. I used to like going there most every day, to get whatever we needed for the day.

Because of him and my grand parents, I know of most of the stuff on the list, but most of the stuff is before my days.

My grandparents brushed their teeth with Arm & Hammer baking soda, you spent the weekend at their house, you did too. I loved going there, for many reasons, but I really loved it when my grandmother roasted peanuts in the oven, fresh hot peanuts were great. I know there was a lot of other things that were way before my day, that my grandparents continued to use when I was a kid, just not coming to mind right now.

Comment

In the north Mesquite the phone prefix was BR9, Broadway. Old Mesquite was AT8. dangit, cannot remember my grandparents prefix when the lived near Love field. Was a better neighborhood then, and its getting remodled these days. We lived in the house before they did. The street dead ended into the MKT track that followed Denton dr, the Dart track now. It was either a train, or a plane taking off, you couldnt talk on the phone. Prop planes were not to bad, but the 707's were flat loud. When the wind was out of the north, it was much quieter as they took off the other direction. Good entertainment was to park off Denton dr and watch the planes take off and land, as dad and mom had a six pack between them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                          6 and 7 were before my days, not sure what number 9 is.

All of the guys that remember teaberry gum and don't remember blackjack, must have been from a different part of the state or country from, where I grew up. I have seen blackjack not that long ago, never heard of teaberry.
                          P.F. Flyers were a shoe. Think Chuck Taylor high tops. "Made you run your fastest and jump your highest". Pure greatness.

Comment

Comment

16/17

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
                                Who remembers your phone number starting with letters? Mine was Fleetwood1-4506, short version FL1-4506.

I know Burnadell will remember this.

Ungawa 123 awk awk eek eek tookie tookie

Comment

Working...
                                X