Plumbing question- vessel sink rough-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m searching the web- and past threads on TBH- for an answer and thought- ask the great folks on TBH. Again. God bless Texas.

We’re going to put vessel sinks (bowl goes on top of the cabinet for those who don’t know the term) and our plumbing will be roughed-in in a week or 2.

Does the plumber do a ‘standard’ bathroom rough-in, or given the opportunity, should I ask for something different?

Second, we’re looking at old cabinets (like this one from Craigslist) and I’ll build the vanity- bore holes in the top, and modify the drawers as needed for the plumbing. Will the height of the bowl be too high?

For example:

If I do it, I’ll post on the DIY section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have one in our house. We cut the granite to drop the bowl about 1/3 of the height into the countertop. It’s kind of marginal to have them supported only by the drain connection. Countertop is standard height.

Comment

Go get the sinks you are using. There are so many configurations and faucet heights and designs it can make a difference. Also decide whether it will be exposed classic plumbing or hidden. It is kinda popular for some reason to have actual exposed metal pipes and plumbing. Some are actually using acid and heat to get a aged patina

Comment

Bump for Sunday night plumbers

Comment

I would have your plumber do regular rough-in. You'll just need a longer tailpiece and longer supply hoses. In case you don't like it, you can replace it with standard lavatory. I replaced a regular lavatory with a vessel and just mounted it with drain on top of the cabinet. Top of cabinet is 33 1/2. Vessel is 6 1/2. It would probably be more user friendly if it was inset 3 or 4 inches, but she was happy with it.

Comment

A plumber told me just a few days ago that more and more people were going to bath room vanities the same height as kitchen counter tops.

Comment

Thanks to all. I’ll let you know what happens.

We did the bath vanity in our SJ house kitchen counter height + 1/2” when finished. Always feared a buyer would be a 5’0” Chinese couple and say “You fix now!”.

Comment

Probably the best thing to do is a blind rough in - just run the 2" up into the wall cavity and leave it so it can be cut or added on to later.

you will need the actual cabinet or a mock-up to figure out exactly where you can fit the trap and the supply lines.

I don't like a vessel sitting on top of a 36" cabinet, but I've never been called tall.

Comment

Then figure it out before sheetrock?

Comment

Thanks again.

I’m looking to build something like these for the second (my) bathroom. One secret to a long marriage is to use another bathroom!

Comment

Working...
                    X