Attractant not Vaniller Kern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attractant not Vaniller Kern

Several years ago I started hunting on my uncles property in Lampasas. To get invited to hunt his place is like winning the lotto. Nothing fancy other than there are literally 3 of us in 30+ years who have been invited with a continued invite. As a kid I dreamed of hunting there. I always enjoyed hanging out with him, as he is one heck of a cook and person.

So, back to the original “Attractant” story. My uncle is the kind of guy always working, always with a cooler full of Coors Light. He begins this routine early in the morning until he heads in for the night. Not a belligerent stumbling drinker, just his drink of choice, and at 88 he can do whatever he wants!!. (For those who like to judge, based on a drink and not character)

On my first hunt, I sat dreaming of the nice 6-8-10pts that he had covering his wall. I had the go ahead to take any legal deer I wanted. Well not one deer showed up. This went on for 2 weekends straight. During the week between, he shot an old heavy horned 8pt. That Friday evening while telling stories and some lies, he said “You know you can take any deer you want right? The heard is thick.” I said well I must be doing something wrong... I haven’t seen a deer one. He looks puzzled and almost like a light switch went off, he gives a crooked grin and says, “Tomorrow morning grab a beer, pour it over the corn. They’ll come.”

Well..... I did... They came out and I took my first deer off his place. Honestly this is my favorite hunting story to tell. From that day forward I’ve always seen deer doing this routine.

I equate the smell of beer to the deer, as he is always out and about the property working. He hand feeds daily.

Who knows. But as far as attractants and cover scent goes, this works well for the beer loving deer of Lampasas.
    Last edited by Big Lee; 03-06-2020, 05:06 AM.

Great post!

Comment

What was the deer? Pictures?

Comment

Nice

Comment

I wonder if that works with whiskey !

Comment

Nice story

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
              What was the deer? Pictures?
              I will have to dig around for pics. Just an old doe. He taught me how to process myself that day as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                I wonder if that works with whiskey !
                Can confirm

Comment

Working...
                X