No announcement yet.

Bush gun, what should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12gauge.... 1st round slug next round 3" #1buckshot.

Comment

Originally posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
      I shoot a 6" barrel in the bush. Depending on the cougar the barrel could be longer.......
      Good ol single barrel pump action yogurt cannon

Comment

450 BM in Ruger ranch rifle or AR-15. Knocks the air out of em.

Comment

Ruger 77-44. I shoot the 240 grain Hornady XTP ammo in it and the .44 Mag is a different animal when fired in the longer barreled rifle. We hunt bear and I have never seen anything knock a big bear off a limb like this recipe. Also, very little recoil. I use the iron sights but would consider mounting a Trijicon RMR on it as I did my Super Blackhawk also in .44 Mag.
          The rifle is lightweight, stainless and rugged.
          Adios,
          Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
            Ruger 77-44. I shoot the 240 grain Hornady XTP ammo in it and the .44 Mag is a different animal when fired in the longer barreled rifle. We hunt bear and I have never seen anything knock a big bear off a limb like this recipe. Also, very little recoil. I use the iron sights but would consider mounting a Trijicon RMR on it as I did my Super Blackhawk also in .44 Mag.
            The rifle is lightweight, stainless and rugged.
            Adios,
            Gary

Recently (last Sunday) saw your show where the gals got the bears. I noticed they were shooting bolt guns... Is that what those were? I'd have to say, those bears were clobbered!! Both hit the ground stone cold dedd!
            Oh and good show Gary!

Comment

SaltwaterSlick, Yes Sir!!!!! The young ladies were shooting the .44 Mag in the Ruger Model 77-44. The .45-70 is a thumper as well but more recoil than what I want and way more than a youngster or lady wants to endure. The older I get I find myself gravitating to the lighter weight and lighter recoil guns. Call me a Sissy!!!
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by jspradley View Post
                good ol single barrel pump action yogurt cannon
                lol!

Comment

50 Beowolf

Comment

Originally posted by jason.dickens View Post
                    I guide year round in Texas and out West. I have been kicking around the idea of buying a rifle for close range and follow up shots through thick brush.

Love a solid lever action and have been looking at the .45-70.

What does the green screen have to say about the .45-70?

What other heavy calibers should I consider looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I've got a Henry .45-70 for the exact same reason, kicks like a mule but doesn't disappoint.

Comment

30-30 gets my vote. Super light weight not a bad kick and can take down a big animal.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                        45-70 is hard to beat factory ammo from mild to elephant. I am a Marlin guy so find an older JM stamped Guide Gun or in my opinion better would be to find an 1895 rifle pistol grip stock and cut the barrel down seems like the pistol helps tame the recoil.
                        I have a JM stamped stainless 45/70 with a 1-4 vx2, shoot it on 1X 90% of the time. Really enjoy the rifle now that it has a nice modern recoil pad on it, real hog thumper.

Comment

.350 Legend is tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyeB View Post
                            30-30 gets my vote. Super light weight not a bad kick and can take down a big animal.
                            I'll second this......

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

This big Iowa doe was shot with a .450 Bushmaster. You can read a postcard thru the entry and exit.

Iowa now allows certain straight wall cartridges during the two shotgun seasons. The .450 BM has become the "go to" round.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

458 socom in an ar15 or 4570 guide gun is what I would do, because I have had both. They both are awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X