Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
    Split Arrow,

Thought of you as I passed through New Mexico headed home yesterday. Looks like you found some good bulls. Good luck knocking one down.

Chris
    They are in the bulls and have even had some long waits at full draw thus far but no arrows released yet

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
      They are in the bulls and have even had some long waits at full draw thus far but no arrows released yet
      Just had the best experience of the trip- I was getting ready for bed and stepped outside the tent to brush my teeth- saw my bugle tube and decided to give it a few blows. Heck, three bulls responded immediately! I ended up calling a bull in to about 15-20 yards, and we could see him clearly thanks to the moonlight. It was awesome!

Comment

Just returned from Unit 81 in Colorado (OTC).
        I've hunted unit 81 several times, though it's been a while since I've was there. Rugged, beautiful country. Tough unit to hunt. Shot a nice 6x6 with a rifle there.

Comment

All this talk of hunting elk has me and the wife planning on going to sw Colorado next September. We definitely want to do a back pack hunt. It will be our first elk hunt.

Comment

Just returned from Unit 81 in Colorado (OTC). Most of the outfitters and other hunters were 4 miles in near the trail, so I packed in 6-7 miles and then climbed above timberline. Rained several times every day and hailed on my final day. Was too hot, too wet and too early.

I did find two 320” bulls (good bulls for that area) both above timberline, but was unable to get into range and they were not responding to calls. I saw bear, moose and tons of mule deer. I could have shot some cows and smaller bulls, but decided to hold out for 300” or better.

On the final day I crossed the Continental Divide to hunt a secluded valley. I ran into a hiker from Belgium, who was walking the entire divide from Canada to Mexico. He had left Canada on June 21st and had until October 15th to finish. He said that he hadn’t seen another person in two days. I am in better than average shape and it was all I could do to keep up with him for half a mile while we talked.

Though I didn’t take a shot, it was a great trip.

Good luck to those of you going later in the season.
            That's super cool. Did you get a pic of the guy?

Comment

Had called a 310-315" six point bull in to five yards yesterday, while drawing my arrow came off the string and while trying to let down quickly I bumped the trigger. Dry fired my bow and broke the string.....of all the things that could go wrong they did!
              First dry fire in 20 years of shooting a bow.....will replace strings today and sight back in for next weekend.
              Bull came in silently, not a sound. Was awesome to have the bull that close.

Comment

Here is a winter kill bull found outside of Jackson Hole WY this year
                Attached Files

Comment

A bull shot by Jason Stafford in Cody WY a couple years ago
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                    Had called a 310-315" six point bull in to five yards yesterday, while drawing my arrow came off the string and while trying to let down quickly I bumped the trigger. Dry fired my bow and broke the string.....of all the things that could go wrong they did!
                    First dry fire in 20 years of shooting a bow.....will replace strings today and sight back in for next weekend.
                    Bull came in silently, not a sound. Was awesome to have the bull that close.
                    Man! So sorry to hear. Get back in gear! These are the kinds of things that make success that much sweeter! Good luck brother.

Comment

A3d, sorry to hear man, get back out there and hammer one buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                        A3d, sorry to hear man, get back out there and hammer one buddy!
                        Oh yeah!
                        It just sucks that I lost one day of hunting, but I was extremely encouraged to find an area that isn't getting hunted, and I'm pretty sure due to location nobody is going to be in there. Located 2 hours and 15 minutes from my house.
                        Nice to see some active elk activity in there as well, Things are looking better than they have all season, so I can't wait for Friday now.

I installed the old strings and cables today, bow is shooting good again.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                          That's super cool. Did you get a pic of the guy?
                          He only stood still briefly then said, "Gotta go." Most of our conversation occurred over a quick half mile. It was all I could do to keep up, much less pull my camera out. I did manage to get some pics of him from the opposite side of the canyon as he was ascending, but you can't make out much.

Comment

Brett C, my dad and I are hitting the road tomorrow! I am pumped for my dad, he has a muzzle loader tag! I can't wait to call in a bull for him!
                            Good luck everybody !

Comment

Brett C, my dad and I are hitting the road tomorrow! I am pumped for my dad, he has a muzzle loader tag! I can't wait to call in a bull for him!
                              Good luck everybody !

Comment

Split Arrow...any updates?

Comment

Working...
                                X