The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
    What about the mouth piece that is making it hard to figure out?
    It's not hard- I just think my bugles with a normal diaphragm sound better- I can't figure out how to replicate that sound with the other- there certainly are some people who have figured it out on YouTube and it sounds spectacular. For me, I think I'm better served practicing with my diaphragm.

Comment

Originally posted by Split Arrow View Post
      It's not hard- I just think my bugles with a normal diaphragm sound better- I can't figure out how to replicate that sound with the other- there certainly are some people who have figured it out on YouTube and it sounds spectacular. For me, I think I'm better served practicing with my diaphragm.
      You are gonna get a wider range of sounds with the Diaphragm. I have a Bugling Bull external reed call as well and I can make grunts, bugles and locators but I can't make it chuckle. I have seen the guys online that make it do everything as well but I am not sure those things are designed to make the complete array.

It's still a good sounding tube without the external mouthpiece IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
        I use a single reed Carlton primarily to stop an animal for a shot.
        I like a hyper hot Peterson. I can also make a calf call with it. Even mulies come to a calf call.
        I have been using a Power Bugle from Elk Inc. for many years. It is easy to use and makes the best chuckle. I have found that after locating a bull, a cow call and a chuckle seem to bring most bull within range. The chuckle used alone doesn't seem to bother a bull, it seems like a friendly call that makes them want to get together for a cool one.
        I seem to get along with Carlton stuff pretty good. I have a bugle that I have used for years that is great, but they don't make any more. I actually met him years ago while hunting outside of Crested Butte. Seemed like a great guy. I talked with him for a good while and did not know who I was talking to! ( I knew of him but had never seen his face ) The next day I saw him on a video and realized it was him. Pretty funny.
        I have had the best luck calling them into range with a Scerry ace 3 hyper cow in heat. It can be very loud or soft, and I have called them in from very long distances with it. using the siren type cow in heat noises. It's my magic call

Comment

Hey ShockValue, whats that fuel youre using in your JetBoil? Ive never seen it and the stuff I use is getting harder and harder to find

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
            Check out phelps game calls. I use bugling bull brown reed and have had good luck. I am going to try the select a call by bugling bull this year and see how it does.
            I have the all star and the mellow yellow. The all star is nice for bugles, but I struggle with the mellow yellow for some reason. I seem to have to force it to much and I have a hard time getting it to seal, even with trimming. It is strange how some seem so easy and others are a struggle. I guess it depends on the shape of your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by traffic View Post
              This is giong to be one to follow because I have always wanted to go elk hunting and have not been able to get any of my buddies interested. Thanks for all the tips that have come and or coming in the future.
              That is funny because a elk hunt in CO is cheaper than a whitetail hunt in TX. Three of us are going and wish we had more to go. Will be in unit 55.

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
                Hey ShockValue, whats that fuel youre using in your JetBoil? Ive never seen it and the stuff I use is getting harder and harder to find
                Giga Power is the name of it. They have it at REI and I think Academy carries it or MSR or another brand in the same size canisters.

Comment

Heading out tomorrow night ....start hunting on the 1st in the morning.

Luckily, I only have a 3 1/2 hour drive before I am in my hunt areas. My bow is packed, broadheads sharp, pack is lighter than before, and my boots are getting a fresh coat of wax now

Comment

Originally posted by zippedhim View Post
                    Headed to Colorado this year with my brother. will be in camp Sept 5 with Conrads High Country Outfitters. Any one ever hunt with them?
                    I've been researching for my trip....someday, saw his website, and looked at reviews on another site after google his oufit. They were mixed, would like to hear what you think.

Comment

Just printed out my license and Landowners tag for unit 15 in NM...I guess it time to get excited

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                        Just printed out my license and Landowners tag for unit 15 in NM...I guess it time to get excited
                        Well heck yea!

Comment

Looks like I may get to go this year after all. Gonna wait and see if there are many elk in the area first when David heads up early season. If he sees some I'm gonna head up later in September

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                            I just got home from unit 15. The elk are in awesome shape, they have had tons of rain and it is still raining. All the tanks are full and the grass is knee high. We saw maybe 300 head of elk and some really good bulls. I will be there the 19th thru 24th.

Comment

Woohooo!! Just found out ill be heading up september 17th to colorado.. I get to spend my birthday(19th) two years in a row chasing bulls

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                                I just got home from unit 15. The elk are in awesome shape, they have had tons of rain and it is still raining. All the tanks are full and the grass is knee high. We saw maybe 300 head of elk and some really good bulls. I will be there the 19th thru 24th.
                                Sounds like an awesome scouting trip! Thanks for the good report, I'll be just SE of yall in Unit 17 the 11th-18th. Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X