Gmc 1500 6.2l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gmc 1500 6.2l

Anyone running a 6.2L 1500? I like the numbers and ran across a 2018 with low miles and a good asking price. Was curious to see what folks that own one have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that engine is a beast! my buddy is running it!

Comment

I had an 18' 1500 Denali with 6.2. Just traded a few months ago with 40k miles.

Yes that dude would run! But after 2 transmissions I had to walk.

Imo not a good puller, more of a hot rod. Trailers I think is why mine smoked 2 trannys.

Comment

Its not from pulling, the 8 speeds have had lots of issues.

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
        I had an 18' 1500 Denali with 6.2. Just traded a few months ago with 40k miles.

Yes that dude would run! But after 2 transmissions I had to walk.

Imo not a good puller, more of a hot rod. Trailers I think is why mine smoked 2 trannys.

Comment

I've got a 2014 and it has been great. Hard to argue with 420hp and over 19mpg running 70+mph.

I've had some stupid interior rattles show up but those were easy to fix with a some lock tite and wrenches.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
            Its not from pulling, the 8 speeds have had lots of issues.
            I heard that too. One shop said it's a bad combo of Corvette trans in a truck. Idk...that dude would fly. I always wanted to turbo charge it, but had no way to sell that need to my wife.

Comment

My father in law ran a tuned 6.2l Texas Trophy Hunter edition. It was a beast and would boil the 35s on it. It was flawless until a driver crossed the median and caused a t-bone at 75mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                I heard that too. One shop said it's a bad combo of Corvette trans in a truck. Idk...that dude would fly. I always wanted to turbo charge it, but had no way to sell that need to my wife.
                Mine will probably end up with a blower on it at some point.

Comment

I test drove one a couple of months ago, it did run good. I heard they are supposed to use premium gas, but the owner said he ran nothing but regular unleaded in it with no issues. This was at a local used car lot, and the truck was his personal truck. Said he had owned 3-4 of the 1/2 tons with the 6.2 liters and loved them. I was shopping for a truck that I could occasionally pull my 8000 pound bumper pull travel trailer with, and he suggested I not buy it for that.

Comment

They will run on regular but you won’t get full performance on regular. Also the 8 speed transmissions have been problematic from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      They will run on regular but you won’t get full performance on regular. Also the 8 speed transmissions have been problematic from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      With premium gas being $.60-$.80 per gallon more expensive than regular unleaded. the increase in fuel mileage would have to be substantial to justify the difference in the cost of fuel.
                      He also mentioned he had a newer truck that Chevrolet put the 10 speed transmission in. I'm not sure when they made that change. I believe the one I drove was a 2017 and the newer one he had was a 2019?

Comment

Have one, love it, couldn't go back to the 5.3. Don't do much towing, but do load down the bed quite a bit hauling an ATV and feed back and forth to the lease 3 hours each way. Had a transmission issue in first two weeks (software bug), GM engineers flew in and replaced it and the TCM etc. If you don't like that 8 speed better not buy the new 10 speed in GM and Ford trucks.... its based on the 8 speed. As said above, I think the issue is that the truck usually comes with a 3.42 rear diff... which just isn't enough to do serious towing and causes premature tranny wear and tear. I believe there is a max towing package though that has a 3.73.. maybe?

FWIW I have 60k on my 2016 6.2 and it has been driven hard. No issues.

The MPG is for me still a surprise often times. With an ATV in the bed, plus a few hundred pounds of corn.... I get a legit 20-22 on the highway... and I'm uh.... you know... probably above the 75mph speed limit I get consistently much better mpg than my 5.3... so you have to offset the premium cost to the higher mileage, the real increase it cost of operation is somewhere in between.
                        Last edited by Loneaggie; 10-16-2019, 06:39 PM. Reason: mpg info

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                          I test drove one a couple of months ago, it did run good. I heard they are supposed to use premium gas, but the owner said he ran nothing but regular unleaded in it with no issues. This was at a local used car lot, and the truck was his personal truck. Said he had owned 3-4 of the 1/2 tons with the 6.2 liters and loved them. I was shopping for a truck that I could occasionally pull my 8000 pound bumper pull travel trailer with, and he suggested I not buy it for that.
                          Should have asked him if he was familiar with premature detonation .... yeah technically you can do that, but the truck is heavily modifying timing to keep from tearing itself apart. Compression is too high.

Comment

My old man has one and he loves it. No transmission issues so far I think around 40k on it. Pretty nice truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The 10 speed will be offered for 2020.

The 8 speed has a 3.23 rear end. Which would explain why it doesn’t do well towing.
                              Mine does at least.

Empty or loaded down, mine will smoke the tires.

Starting to get a slight vibration. 26k on mine. Taking it to the dealership next week to get looked over.

Comment

Working...
                              X