new laws start this sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new laws start this sunday

New Texas laws go into effect this Sunday, Sept. 1 which were passed by the Texas Legislature earlier this year. Here are a few of the big ones.

Tobacco: Customers purchasing tobacco must be 21 years old and that includes both cigarettes and e-cigarettes. The law does not apply to those in the military. Violators will face a misdemeanor and up to $500 fine.

CBD: A bill legalized hemp farming and the sale and possession of hemp-derived CBD oil containing less than .3% of THC, the compound that produces a "high" in marijuana.NBC 5 Investigates has reported on CBD all year.

Cough medicine: You'll now have to be 18 to buy over-the-counter cough medicine. Lawmakers were concerned some medicines have an ingredient used by teenagers to get high. Texas is the 19th state to raise the minimum age.

Brass knuckles: You can soon carry brass knuckles. Up until now--they've been banned. But the representative who sponsored the bill says he wants people to be able to protect themselves.

Porch pirates: People who steal packages off front porches could go to prison with a new law that makes it a felony to steal mail, including packages, postcards, etc.

Hunting/fishing license: People can now show their hunting and fishing license on their digital device.

Beer to-go: Craft breweries can now sell up to a case of beer per customer, per day, to go.

Lemonade stands: Children's unlicensed lemonade stands won't be regulated if they're selling on private property.

Alcohol delivery: Restaurants, bars or businesses with a permit can deliver alcohol with food to homes or other locations.

Guns: Many laws relating to guns were approved this session. Some include: guns will be allowed in school parking lots, leases to rent a apartment or house can't ban guns, people can have a gun during a natural disaster without a license to carry and home owners associations can't restrict gun ownership.

School marshals: No limit on the amount of school marshals a school can have.

Vessels 26' and under equipped with kill switch must be worn by the operator now too.

Comment

Upper coast Speckled Trout now 5 instead of 10, 5 is now the daily bag limit for the entire state starting Sunday.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Porch pirates: People who steal packages off front porches could go to prison with a new law that makes it a felony to steal mail, including packages, postcards, etc.
          With everything being bought online, this is the one that is needed the most. I think if you you get caught stealing a package you should get the book thrown at you. You get caught stealing twice you get catapulted over the boarder. No questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            Upper coast Speckled Trout now 5 instead of 10, 5 is now the daily bag limit for the entire state starting Sunday.
            Not to start a trainwreck, but this one seems ridiculous to me. I don't live on/near the coast and only get to partake once or twice a year. It's almost not worth the trip to bring home a posession limit. What do you locals think? I'm sure there is 'science' out there but I haven't noticed any difference over the last 10 yrs or so since I've been going to the coast.

Comment

So happy I can dust off the knuckles that have been sitting in my safe for the past decade.
              Also I'm extremely disappointed that there had to be a LAW signed into existence to keep cops from harassing kids selling lemonade. They should have been chasing the porch pirates... maybe now they WILL go do that.

Comment

Really not that bad. If it increases the numbers I'm all for it. We have had them for a few years here on the middle and lower coast. Made it very easy to get a quick limit of trout early then hitting the flats for red fish and drum. It turned into a process. My family would much rather have drum and red for table fair anyway.

Comment

So you can be unlicensed and have a gun during a natural disaster...up until they start seizing them like Katrina??

Comment

Just a picture of your license will work now or is there online lookup?

Comment

Industrialized hemp CBD is actually legal now? Good for the farmers I guess and the folks that have to consume industrial hemp for medication.

I was reading where they were possibly trying to make possession up to 4 ounces of real cannabis a written ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m betting that if a person is deer or turkey hunting that the digital license won’t fly. How can you tag your game immediately if you don’t have the physical license on you

Comment

I believe there is also a new law that prevents roofers from absorbing the insurance deductible on roof claims...or at least clear up the language in regards to it.

Comment

Lemonade stands: Children's unlicensed lemonade stands won't be regulated if they're selling on private property.

Boy, that'll make you rethink how much freedom we actually have.

Comment

So if you catch someone stealing your packages you can now pummel them with your brass knuckles and not get sued.

Comment

Working...
                              X