New Mexico Elk Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico Elk Help

I'm headed to NM to my cousin's place December 17-23. Will be hunting the 18-22, on their ranch near Angel Fire. They suggested hunting this time of year, but due to vacation scheduling, I couldn't go until later. Anyone ever been in the area on a hunt in December? I know the rut is over for the elk, so what type of pattern are they in that time of year? This will be my first elk hunt. It will be somewhat guided by her husband, but I would just like to know what to expect. Thanks for the help!

Watching. [emoji6]

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Your going on a lottery elk hunt. Angel Fire and the Moreno Valley are loaded with elk. Loaded.
      One huge advantage private land has in NM is flexibility to schedule hunts. The late cow hunt on public land is in early November. The elk will be settled down for sure. There should be snow on the ground by mid December. Depending on the ranch size, you’ll probably sit meadow edges early- watching for elk feeding and for them to filter out late in the evenings. Having someone that knows the area is a big help.

Take warm clothes, great binoculars, and spend some time on the shooting bench.

New Mexicans also love to drive around in a truck to hunt.... but that’s usually a public land thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted Thanksgiving years ago in Chama. Like Basschump said, the elk feed in the meadow at night so we would look for them leaving in the morning and coming out in the evenings.

Comment

Working...
        X