Question for the AC guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
    Once you decide on what duct to use, have someone size it to reduce in size after takeoffs....this will maintain static.
    Me, I’d go square/rectangular trunk
    You guys got me thinking about metal ducts. I was talking to my roofer today. He has all of the equipment to fab rectangular duct. I’m going to look into that.

Comment

Trust me on this...the air doesn’t know if it’s flowing through round or square ducts. Simply a matter of which you think looks best and cost.

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
        Trust me on this...the air doesn’t know if it’s flowing through round or square ducts. Simply a matter of which you think looks best and cost.
        Air has feelings too. But seriously, round looks better. Square can look good If done right, and duct board sucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
          Can someone point me to where I can buy the spiral duct. Do the supply houses stock it? I’m not google impaired but not a HVAC guy either.
          Mason Rd. Sheet Metal aka Mr. Sheet metal[Near 290 and West Little York. It would be best to have them calculate the number of take offs and reducers so that velocity remains constant all the way down to the end.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. Lots of good info here. Sounds like a number of shops have the machine to make spiral duct.

Comment

This is where I landed. Bought eight sheets of 4 x 8 26 ga galvanized. Bent up and joined eight 4' sections. Used S lock on the long seam and the ends to join the sections. Got the air handler set tonight.
              Attached Files

Comment

Usually not recommended to have air coming out of the end cap. You lose static pressure when you do that. Otherwise looks pretty gods so far.

Comment

Thanks for the comment. All of the registers have dampers. So if I get excessive air out the end cap I can throttle the damper. It’s going to be a trial and error process to get the air to the right places. The best arrangement woul have been to run the duct down the center with outlets on oth sides. For a number of reasons I did not do that. One of my big concerns was to avoid air short circuiting back to the return side without doing any cooling. I saw a setup in a shop not too long ago that had that issue.
                  Last edited by kmitchl; 03-16-2019, 10:05 PM.

Comment

What are the dimensions of the duct?
                    Loose the register on the end cap. You can get 45 and 90 take offs for the side of the duct for airflow pattern

Comment

Originally posted by LonestarGent View Post
                      Usually not recommended to have air coming out of the end cap. You lose static pressure when you do that. Otherwise looks pretty gods so far.

I learned why you need to develop static pressure today. Until now I have not needed much air in the shop. Today it is warmer and more humid. I fired up
                      the ac and after about 30 minutes heard a drip. Water was coming out the bottom of the air handler. I opened it up and everything looked ok inside. All the drains were open. After thinking about it for a while I realized the blower was running so much air that it was carrying the water droplets from the evap coil right past the drip pan. Set the blower speed down a few notches and life is good.

Comment

Did you remove the grill from the end of the duct?

Comment

Yes

Comment

I learned why you need to develop static pressure today. Until now I have not needed much air in the shop. Today it is warmer and more humid. I fired up

the ac and after about 30 minutes heard a drip. Water was coming out the bottom of the air handler. I opened it up and everything looked ok inside. All the drains were open. After thinking about it for a while I realized the blower was running so much air that it was carrying the water droplets from the evap coil right past the drip pan. Set the blower speed down a few notches and life is good.
                            That's a bummer. At least it was in the shop and hopefully nothing was damaged.

Comment

No damage. Was a bit of revelation to figure out why it was dripping. After doing this installation I have a lot of respect for the HVAC guys. I had to do a lot of studying and watch a bunch of videos to get this sorted out. And this was just a single stage residential unit with electric strip heat. My house ac is two stage with three zones. If it ever has an issue I'l be calling the guy who did the installation.

Comment

No damage. Was a bit of revelation to figure out why it was dripping. After doing this installation I have a lot of respect for the HVAC guys. I had to do a lot of studying and watch a bunch of videos to get this sorted out. And this was just a single stage residential unit with electric strip heat. My house ac is two stage with three zones. If it ever has an issue I'l be calling the guy who did the installation.
                                Lol yea when I first got into the trade i was the same way. I couldn't believe how much there was to it. There's not a day that goes by that I don't learn something new.

Comment

Working...
                                X