Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Panhandle Hunting Thread (6th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of movement on this full moon evening. 14 slick heads and 1 nice buck chasing them in circles for the whole evening. They started about 4:15 and still going at it when I left at dark. I enjoyed watching.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nephew took a nice one this evening.

I get to...

Comment

Nice buck! Congrats to your nephew!

Comment

Great buck for the nephew!

Comment

Duzy, Nice buck your nephew got.

Comment

Congrats to the nephew, Duzy. Happy Thanksgiving from Berlin, y'all.

Comment

Are the boys still out chasing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Out in the stand. Hoping we aren’t too late for some horny buck action. Southeast of Childress a few miles out. Anyone else sitting this weekend?

Comment

Reply I’m out near McLean, bucks are really just got going here. But think it’s in full swing now.

Comment

saw some young bucks and took this old guy out in dickens

Comment

Quick report mainly for thread bumping purposes. Sat yesterday evening for about an hour. When I approached the blind, there were 2 young bucks already at the feeder. They took off when they saw me. An older, lone doe came in 30 minutes later which brought a few more as darkness approached. A smaller doe attempted to join her, and the older doe reared up on her hind legs to box. The smaller doe just stood there and ducked her head, and the old doe landed on top of her back. Younger doe got the message and took off. One of the small 8's and an average 6 (uggghhh) came in and a game of tag broke out. Bucks chasing does that weren't interested in anything but corn. It was enjoyable to watch even if no "decent" bucks came in.

Comment

Congrats, T!

Comment

One more thought. As has consistently been the case in the past, my observations of rut behavior in this area have only begun in the last week or so. I drove to Dallas on Friday and returned yesterday and saw several fresh road kills between Canadian and Decatur. Far more than I've seen on recent outings. That said, if anyone who hunts the Panhandle thinks they've missed the rut, they should reconsider. I think it's just started. Last year, I took my largest buck (antler wise) to date on December 15th and the rut was still very much going on. I took my second largest buck (antler wise), the week after Christmas several years ago, and he was trailing a doe.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tbone3636 saw some young bucks and took this old guy out in dickens
                              congrats

so they were moving OK around Dickens with the wind like it was? i didnt go this AM because of the wind

Comment

On our place between Jayton and Rotan we are having our worst season ever. Very few does, very few mature bucks (the drought from a few years back is showing) and there are no fawns. Still green on low vegetation and a full moon made this weekend an almost total bust.
                                One deer came to corn and it was a 6 point with no browtines. Busted him at 16 yards with a 125 Ramcat. Holes thru the heart make for a short, 50 yard tracking job. He is now at the processor and having him made into jerky for our landowners. Cape is going to my taxidermist friend for a spare.
                                Not sure what to expect for the rest of the year. Even the pigs have dissappeared except gor dome a night.

Comment

Working...
                                X