No announcement yet.

2015 Lake Grapevine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may go out this Sunday and do a little walking and see what's up, in anticipation that I'll get drawn on Nov 2.

Comment

Think the high water will have affected the acorn crop at all out there?

Comment

Be careful out there. Plenty of these nasty critters. Darn near stepped on this guy. Even with snake boots I think the outcome would have been no Bueno. Saw another one climbing a tree.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Never miss; 09-11-2015, 02:02 PM. Reason: Add content

Comment

Planning on heading out tomorrow for some pig stickin' anyone wanna help with a good spot to go? Pm me

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            Think the high water will have affected the acorn crop at all out there?
            Don't know about this year, but I would guess it may impact next year worse.

Comment

Ghost Blinds

Have any of you guys ever tried using a Ghost Blind. I met a guy the other day who said they work great but he was hunting on a lease. Just curious if it might work for Public Land since I have to put it up and take it down everyday.

Thoughts?

Comment

I've used one... out at grapevine in fact. The deer definitely notice it... some freak out. Some eventually ignore it. There's also the issue of movement if they notice you because raising your bow is definitely something they'll see if they're watching.

You cant have it face the sun and unless you have high grass, what it reflects looks unnatural. It scratches very easily so I'd get the carry bag with it.

I don't find it very versatile really, and I rarely use it. I find myself using my ground blind or climber a lot more.

If it is bare dirt out there right now, it's not gonna work so hot.
                Last edited by Kirby86; 09-11-2015, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I almost got tagged by a cotton mouth this morning out there. I noticed him when I was about to step on him and he tilted his head back

Comment

It's pretty dangerous out there. The ground cover is starting to come back which makes it more difficult to see the snakes. Just watch where you step. It's the ones you don't see that will get you.

Comment

Was out there this morning scouting some areas and found lots of sign. And walked up on a group of 5 hogs. One decent sized boar too.

Comment

So, I just had a conversation with a LEO at Grapevine (Northlake). He claims that he has had half a dozen plus vehicles towed. Has anyone had this happen to them?

This guy made it sound like everyone he's caught were dragging in feeders and most everyone out there is cutting fences and breaking the law somehow. He claimed the I35 fence has been replaced 15 times (Yes, that was his number).

It sure seems like they do not like hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Txcatsailor01 View Post
                          So, I just had a conversation with a LEO at Grapevine (Northlake). He claims that he has had half a dozen plus vehicles towed. Has anyone had this happen to them?

This guy made it sound like everyone he's caught were dragging in feeders and most everyone out there is cutting fences and breaking the law somehow. He claimed the I35 fence has been replaced 15 times (Yes, that was his number).

I got a warning for an abandoned vehicle yesterday on 35.

Comment

I think they don't like hunters who can't follow the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                              I think they don't like hunters who can't follow the rules.

We all want hunters that obey the rules. For me it's completely frustrating when you stumble across someone's tube feeder and protein container empty and strewn about. Or even lazy hunters/scouters that blatantly discard water bottles, beer cans, snack wrappers and assorted trash.

My confusion is that this leo's point is any access that is not directly through one of the two assigned parking lots is considered illegal access. With all of the conversations that I have had with the COE, never have they stated that. Their warnings have always been to not park illegally, which I understand!

He implied that crossing any fence is punishable. That to me is ludicrous!

Comment

Txcatsailor01 you've answered your own observation. That Leo of Northlake, all they do is sit out there at 114 and 35 and write tickets. They don't do any true policing except what will bring in revenue for their tiny community.

We all want hunters that obey the rules. For me it's completely frustrating when you stumble across someone's tube feeder and protein container empty and strewn about. Or even lazy hunters/scouters that blatantly discard water bottles, beer cans, snack wrappers and assorted trash.

My confusion is that this leo's point is any access that is not directly through one of the two assigned parking lots is considered illegal access. With all of the conversations that I have had with the COE, never have they stated that. Their warnings have always been to not park illegally, which I understand!

He implied that crossing any fence is punishable. That to me is ludicrous!

Comment

Working...
                                X