2015 Lake Grapevine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L3mon View Post
    So the consensus is? Figure it out yourself? ok cool..

And I know there are deer out there, plus, why have a deer lottery if there are no deer?

I know I'm new here, but dangit fellas I'm not a moron..
    We're just giving you a hard time. Regardless of the method, you've got to scout and know the land, especially if you're a Vine rookie. I hope you get something but don't post any pics online or Larry will come after you.

Comment

So the consensus is? Figure it out yourself? ok cool..

And I know there are deer out there, plus, why have a deer lottery if there are no deer?

I know I'm new here, but dangit fellas I'm not a moron..

Nothing against you. We're just very weary of outsiders joining and only posting on the public forum threads.

Nothing personal. Kick your shoes off, get involved in some of the other areas of this place. Make us feel like we can trust ya.

Comment

I'm not afraid to share what I know since I've stolen lots from public forums myself. I've only been drawn once but here it is. I park off 377 and head east or west, I've seen deer most every sit. When the creek was down you could skirt the rocks and get across right there and keep your feet dry but that won't happen now. There's plenty of trails to get you started from the parking lot but if you hunt besides one plan on lots of company walking by your setup. Get away from the trails it's thick and nasty. Whenever I think I find an easy way through, darkness comes and my great trail disappears leaving me to fight the briars and tree roots. I more often than not walk out at night and my arms are bleeding in no less than a dozen places per side. But that being said, perfect your mobile setup, a bike is not going to help much here unless you want it stolen and get out there away from people and good spots are all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
          8,000+ thread views and only 200 posts is the reason you're not getting straight answers. It's not just us in here. There's a ton more watching and waiting to pick up some intel and run with it. Don't be hurt that you're not getting answers out in the open. Lots of us want to help. Some will never do it openly. Some will, unfortunately. Some will give you just enough to get started. Others will tell you "I had to learn the hard way. Get out there and get dirty and scratched up and find your way."

And deer lottery or not...there are no deer at Grapevine. Giant bucks or not...THERE ARE NO DEER AT GRAPEVINE! (see, it's a joke...just go with it)

Welcome to the best hunting forum on the net, and good luck this season! Keep us posted...just not on an open forum.
          SHHHHH quit telling it !

Comment

8,000+ thread views and only 200 posts is the reason you're not getting straight answers. It's not just us in here. There's a ton more watching and waiting to pick up some intel and run with it. Don't be hurt that you're not getting answers out in the open. Lots of us want to help. Some will never do it openly. Some will, unfortunately. Some will give you just enough to get started. Others will tell you "I had to learn the hard way. Get out there and get dirty and scratched up and find your way."

And deer lottery or not...there are no deer at Grapevine. Giant bucks or not...THERE ARE NO DEER AT GRAPEVINE! (see, it's a joke...just go with it)

Welcome to the best hunting forum on the net, and good luck this season! Keep us posted...just not on an open forum.
            Thanks Larry, I get it, but how do we expect others to get into the sport if no one helps?

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
            We're just giving you a hard time. Regardless of the method, you've got to scout and know the land, especially if you're a Vine rookie. I hope you get something but don't post any pics online or Larry will come after you.
            He'll be too busy hiding kyaks, LOL

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
            Nothing against you. We're just very weary of outsiders joining and only posting on the public forum threads.

Nothing personal. Kick your shoes off, get involved in some of the other areas of this place. Make us feel like we can trust ya.
            I'd be more weary of the guys NOT asking questions..

I'd like to hunt on a lease or private land but I really cant afford it. Honestly buying the rest of my license is going to be a stretch this year. I may not be able to go duck/dove hunting at all this year because of it. GV and Lewisville really are my only options at this point.

I appreciate the razing and inside jokes as much as anyone, My chief made sure of that in Iraq, but maybe the solution would be a private message? Just trying to offer suggestions so that other don't get shunned away.

Comment

Thanks Larry, I get it, but how do we expect others to get into the sport if no one helps?

He'll be too busy hiding kyaks, LOL

I'd be more weary of the guys NOT asking questions..

I'd like to hunt on a lease or private land but I really cant afford it. Honestly buying the rest of my license is going to be a stretch this year. I may not be able to go duck/dove hunting at all this year because of it. GV and Lewisville really are my only options at this point.

I appreciate the razing and inside jokes as much as anyone, My chief made sure of that in Iraq, but maybe the solution would be a private message? Just trying to offer suggestions so that other don't get shunned away.
              Private Messages are the way to go. No shortage of friendly / knowledgeable people here.

Comment

Nice try, but giving up sensitive information about a public hunting spot and helping others get into the sport are totally different issues. Contrary to Troy's opinion, I'm not a jerk. I have shared PLENTY in private about Grapevine to those I felt would use the info wisely and not broadcast it. I have met a few TBH'ers that I didn't know from Adam just to show them some areas they can hunt out there. Some are lifelong friends. Others had a good season and moved on to other areas or leases. I love swapping stories about Grapevine, group texts about what we're seeing and shooting (or missing), getting together with others to scout and hunt out there, help drag a deer or hog out a mile or sit around and pick ticks off each other.

I gave up the one man crusade a couple of weeks ago, but I'll never stop being vocal about it just not being in everyone's best interests to share openly information about Grapevine or any other public hunting area on a public forum. This thread getting to 10k views before we even get to the draw date is proof enough that more and more people are lurking, watching, getting all the info they need and filling up the parking lot and woods out there.

It's in MY professional best interest to welcome new site members, help them feel at home and spread the word to help this site grow. It's in my personal best interest as a Grapevine hunter to limit the number of people that enter the drawing so that I have a better chance of getting drawn. Period. Sorry if that rubs all sorts of people the wrong way. I know times are changing. I'm not stuck in the past, and I'm not a stick in the mud. I'm not the spokesperson for Grapevine and never thought I was. I'm passionate about a very special place that used to be easy to access. It's becoming harder and harder to get a golden ticket to it, and it's sad.

I hate to be THAT GUY, but I'll do everyone a favor and will stop posting on this thread. Best of luck to those that get drawn!

Comment

Nice try, but giving up sensitive information about a public hunting spot and helping others get into the sport are totally different issues. Contrary to Troy's opinion, I'm not a jerk. I have shared PLENTY in private about Grapevine to those I felt would use the info wisely and not broadcast it. I have met a few TBH'ers that I didn't know from Adam just to show them some areas they can hunt out there. Some are lifelong friends. Others had a good season and moved on to other areas or leases. I love swapping stories about Grapevine, group texts about what we're seeing and shooting (or missing), getting together with others to scout and hunt out there, help drag a deer or hog out a mile or sit around and pick ticks off each other.

I gave up the one man crusade a couple of weeks ago, but I'll never stop being vocal about it just not being in everyone's best interests to share openly information about Grapevine or any other public hunting area on a public forum. This thread getting to 10k views before we even get to the draw date is proof enough that more and more people are lurking, watching, getting all the info they need and filling up the parking lot and woods out there.

It's in MY professional best interest to welcome new site members, help them feel at home and spread the word to help this site grow. It's in my personal best interest as a Grapevine hunter to limit the number of people that enter the drawing so that I have a better chance of getting drawn. Period. Sorry if that rubs all sorts of people the wrong way. I know times are changing. I'm not stuck in the past, and I'm not a stick in the mud. I'm not the spokesperson for Grapevine and never thought I was. I'm passionate about a very special place that used to be easy to access. It's becoming harder and harder to get a golden ticket to it, and it's sad.

I hate to be THAT GUY, but I'll do everyone a favor and will stop posting on this thread. Best of luck to those that get drawn!
                  I don't think you're a jerk Larry. Never met you. All in good fun. I meant no offense.

Comment

Larry I want to thank you.. This will be my first year going to grapevine and I hope I am drawn.. I don't post much here I read most... I thank you for all you have posted!! And maybe Ill be in one of those group texts this year sending a pic of a big gv Buck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
                      Larry I want to thank you.. This will be my first year going to grapevine and I hope I am drawn.. I don't post much here I read most... I thank you for all you have posted!! And maybe Ill be in one of those group texts this year sending a pic of a big gv Buck!!!
                      Good luck Troy but there are no bucks to send pictures of from the vine.

And for the poster getting butt hurt that people weren't giving up honey holes on the public site may want to rethink hunting grapevine. There's a lot of thick brush out there and your skin doesn't seem too thick

Comment

if i get drawn again this year, i probably wont be able to get out and hunt any...just thought i'd share that, not worth hunting anyways since there are no deer.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                          if i get drawn again this year, i probably wont be able to get out and hunt any...just thought i'd share that, not worth hunting anyways since there are no deer.
                          Nice.

Comment

Just be sure and mount multiple cameras all over your personal hunting spot.

You can trust your fellow hunters.

That way you post neat pics of all the deer on here.

Comment

Webstertroy, this is my first year on the vine as well. If you would like to scout one time let me know.

Also for the vine brain trust, I saw that some one was going to use a kayak this year. As I recently purchased one is this a good idea or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P View Post
                                Webstertroy, this is my first year on the vine as well. If you would like to scout one time let me know.

Also for the vine brain trust, I saw that some one was going to use a kayak this year. As I recently purchased one is this a good idea or not?
                                I thought about using a kayak as well, however i dont like being that close to the water with the snakes. I'd rather be in a canoe or something that gets me up a little off the water. I've been in locations where the snakes are trying to come in the boat, sure dont want to be in a kayak for that... Just my thoughts and my total dislike for snakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X