Need Kids Bow recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Kids Bow recommendations

My daughters are 11 and 8 and must have seen some tv show or something that has got them chewing my ear off about getting them bows. They know I’ve been an archer for a long time, but haven’t been very interested until now. I’m trying to figure out what to get them as an entry level setup that is a functional bow, but I don’t really want to buy them $350 Mission kits that they use a couple times and then decide they aren’t interested. Academy has these two options, but I’m concerned about trying to get the draw length, peep, sights, etc. realistically setup on a cheap kids bow. Does anybody have any experience with these or other setups that worked and were a good experience for their kids? Thanks.

From first hand experience, the Bear is Junk, and they would probably have more fun with a low lb recurve/longbow type bow. The kind you used to see at summer camp. Hay bale, some balloons. Keep it simple at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
      From first hand experience, the Bear is Junk, and they would probably have more fun with a low lb recurve/longbow type bow. The kind you used to see at summer camp. Hay bale, some balloons. Keep it simple at first.

Ok good call; I’ll look for some options like that. Thanks

Comment

x2 on the Bear. A friend bought one for his son and it's more in a toy category than functional bow, imo

Comment

3 Rivers Archery used to have a 50” fiberglass recurve. I just did a quick search and didn’t see them

I bought my kids old Bear RED fiberglass recurves and they LOVED them!!! Check EBay. Get some cheap academy arrows and you’re all set.

Comment

I did the same for mine. She has outgrown her settings now, but it was the PSE Mini Burner, set up just like a full size compound. In retrospect, I could have done the same with a Genesis bow and the draw length could be whatever would get to her anchor point.

Comment

Toys. Bought one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Buy them a Genisis (look up genisis archery) $189 that they can both use amd share. Infinite DL. Use fingers and learn to shoot instinctively. It’s like a compound/recurve hybrid and if their schools have NASP, they’re used to the required bow.

What you’re looking at there is garbage. And we carry Bear but refuse to sell those.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  Buy them a Genisis (look up genisis archery) $189 that they can both use amd share. Infinite DL. Use fingers and learn to shoot instinctively. It’s like a compound/recurve hybrid and if their schools have NASP, they’re used to the required bow.

What you’re looking at there is garbage. And we carry Bear but refuse to sell those.

Good info - thanks!

Comment

These might fit the bill. The reviews are good for youth and adults. Bow only weighs 2lbs

Comment

I bought my 7 yr old grandson, the tomcat 2 in the picture above, nice bow, but we found out he is left hand. One thing about these inexpensive kits is they say the draw length is adjustable but not really, the instruction with the bow were “how to shoot a bow” called th company and they emailed instructions for a different bow, all they had. Lastly, buy a whisker biscuit, because the rests are junk. For a right handed, it would have been ok. Pm me before you buy one, this may be free to your door. I will talk to him tomorrow.

Comment

I bought the Bear for my son and it is a toy. 100% agree with the rest. My daughter is 11 and I found a used Mission Menace. I put a HHA Cadet sight on it and were getting really close for deer season. She is pulling back 30lbs and trying to get up to 35lbs before Oct. I'm focused on getting her 15-20 yard shots max.

Comment

Thanks everybody, good info

Comment

I also had bought the Bear when my twins were 6 and it was total junk. Looking into the Genesis now for birthday gifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X