Rutting buck traveling 200 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rutting buck traveling 200 miles

Saw this today about a ruttting buck moving around wondering how often that happens
    Biologists recorded a radio-collared Missouri whitetail buck walking nearly 200 miles during the fall rut in 2017.

I can believe this I’ve seen deer cover a few miles in a few hours from one large ranch to another.They just go from one hot doe to another and another not even paying attention to where they are or where they came from

Comment

I would be interested in the data of the other 600 deer they put collars on as well.

Comment

I wrote a story on here a few years ago about a 153 inch 8 that I killed in November. A friend had pics if him all summer 14 miles away.

I shot and lost a big deer last year with a crossbow. He was killed 11 miles away a month later... if the hunter was honest about where he killed him.

Comment

Interesting read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a buck on one of the deer leases I was on years ago that was seen in the south end of the ranch and my buddy killed him 9 miles north of there the next morning.

Comment

We have 12000 acres leased and routinely see the same bucks on each corner of the property and they disappear for weeks at a time during the rut. Which means they are in neighboring ranches(all low fence). I’d say 8-10 mile range could easily be more.

Comment

A good friend of mine killed a low 150s buck last year, that was a very distinct and recognizable deer. A friend of a friend recognized the deer as one who he’d have each summer and then disappear within weeks of getting hard horned. That deer traveled a touch over 10 miles to where he was killed.

Comment

Tells you that any given day at any given time you could have a big one show up you have never seen. I think it adds a little incentive to get out when it is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                    Tells you that any given day at any given time you could have a big one show up you have never seen. I think it adds a little incentive to get out when it is slow.
                    It also goes to show, the big one you have been watching all summer, may be along ways away come hunting season. High fence will fix that though.

Comment

I think thats how Mother Nature controls inbreeding...Gets them out of home range..

Comment

I killed a deer in 2016 that traveled 3.22 miles in 11 hours... he crossed two major/big creeks and swam across Lake Nacogdoches. Had him on camera here ( 31°38'7.36"N , -94°46'4.61"W) at midnight and killed him here ( 31°39'18.51"N , - 94°48'55.85"W) chasing a fawn on the next morning at 11:00 am.

Comment

I believe it for sure. I would like to do a study or survey at our place to see how far the does travel each day to get to our fields and eat. Then the bucks come during the rut chasing does. We usually have 3 sets of bucks move thru.

Comment

I can see the 10-20 miles...but 200? I think that would be a rare event. He would run to a high fence at some point in Texas!

Comment

Reminds me of my younger years. No distance was too far!

Comment

Working...
                              X