Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does west Texas start? Where does east Texas start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does west Texas start? Where does east Texas start?

This is a topic that comes up from time to time with at friend of mine.

I say west Texas is anything west of a line from about Wichita Falls down to about Del Rio.

East Texas would be anything running from a line from Paris to Houston.

He says east Texas is anything in the piney woods, and west Texas is anything west of I-35.

What say the green screen

I kinda agree with your friend. However Im from Browntown...and the geographic center of Texas is between Brady and Brownwood...so technically that area is central Texas.

Past Coleman-Uvalde line is west texas...West of 283/83.

The west texas culture is effective all the way to Stephenville though.

Comment

Fort Worth - Where the West Begins

Comment

Eden is named for a reason. It’s the end of the garden and start of the desert. East is anything east of I-35. North of I 20 is Oklahoma [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A true west Texan will say that west TX starts at the Pecos River...

Comment

West Texas starts West of Central Texas. East Texas starts East of Central Texas.

Comment

He is definately wrong about west Texas.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

100th meridian.

Comment

Great question...... growing up in Wichita Falls it always seemed from maps and such that the Panhandle/ West Texas started West of Wichita Falls but after going to college at WTAMU it seemed like most out there considered west of either Childress or Vernon as the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                    Fort Worth - Where the West Begins

agree!

Comment

West of I35, east of I35.

Comment

If you drive from Orange to El Paso, Junction is about half-way. Don't think West of there is "West" Texas. Was always told West Texas is West of the Pecos.

Comment

[ATTACH]1050870[/ATTACH]

This map closely represents what I've always considered East and West Texas in my mind. East Texas is Pineywoods to me. A little bit of the Pineywoods bleeds over into parts of Southeast Texas as well. The area defined as Far West Texas on this map is what I think of when I hear West Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                            This is a topic that comes up from time to time with at friend of mine.

I say west Texas is anything west of a line from about Wichita Falls down to about Del Rio.

East Texas would be anything running from a line from Paris to Houston.

He says east Texas is anything in the piney woods, and west Texas is anything west of I-35.

What say the green screen

I lived in Midland for about 5 years and travelled all over West Texas. I agree with your definition.

Fun fact - a lot of people in Midland considered San Antonio to be South Texas. I quit arguing after a while and let them think they were right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              I kinda agree with your friend. However Im from Browntown...and the geographic center of Texas is between Brady and Brownwood...so technically that area is central Texas.

Past Coleman-Uvalde line is west texas...West of 283/83.

The west texas culture is effective all the way to Stephenville though.
                              Actually the true center of Texas is west of where it was previously believed. In the late '80s a group of surveyors got together and found the exact center of Texas and set a monument. The monument is approximately 10 miles SW of Eden close to the Menard/Concho County lines.
                              In my opinion, this make the argument for IH 35 to be the eastern boundary of West Texas.
                              I think Hwy. 277 might be a more accurate definition of the eastern boundary of West Texas.
                              When I lived in Madisonville, the old timers said that you didn't get into East Texas until you crossed the Trinity River.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X