Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell me how to cut carbon shafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me how to cut carbon shafts?

I have a new half dozen full length GT shafts that I need cut and there is not an archery shop closer than an hour away not to mention the shelter in place probably has them closed. Does anyone on the Green Screen have a suggestion as to how I might cut them myself.
    Thanks,
    Grits

I may be able to when you tell me what Carbon Shafts are

Comment

Buy you an inexpensive Harbor Freight cut off saw.

Gary
      Last edited by DRT; 04-09-2020, 02:35 PM.

Comment

If you have a Dremel you can use that. You will need to build an "arrow saw table" and make sure you are perfectly square when you cut.

Comment

bowhunterhelm, I do have a Dremel, but not sure I can make the arrow saw table without some plans and some better tools. If you happen to have some plans send them my way and I'll give it a shot.
          Grits

Comment

You can either buy a a harbor freight cut off/dremel setup or just get an apple arrow saw.

That said, if you do you a dremel, they dont have to be perfectly square, just get a g5 ASD and itll square it up, which you have to do after you use dedicated arrow saws anyways.

I'd be wary of the dremel cracking the carbon without a vice though.

Comment

I never need to square mine with my Apple saw. The Harbor freight one I did.

Gary

Comment

Thanks guys for the info, but I can't afford an Apple Cutoff Saw. What is a g5 ASD?
                Grits

Comment

Originally posted by Grits View Post
                  Thanks guys for the info, but I can't afford an Apple Cutoff Saw. What is a g5 ASD?
                  Grits

Rick started a thread on the harbor freight.

Comment

plumbers copper pipe cutter?

Grits
                    Never cut an arrow but this should keep it square and they don't cost much. My brother just informed me it would splinter

Comment

Grits
                      Yeah I wouldn't have either but I got it lightly used for half price.

Gary

Comment

I use my tile saw. It cost me about the same as an arrow saw but will actually do some real work.

Comment

I hose clamp my grinder with a cutoff wheel on it down to a jig I made. I like Ricks little set up.

Comment

Made jig similar to Ricks ,...Ty wrapped Dremel tool with small abrasive blade.and rolled shafts through and cut..worked great ...but that mini chop saw looks cool

Comment

Ive been using a dremel for a long time. I get the biggest cut off wheel I can, do a quick cut about a half inch longer than what I want to help with clearance, then just eyeball square on the real cut. I go back with fine sandpaper and square up the ends after Im done. It takes more time than a real arrow saw but it works just fine and doesnt require any special tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X