No announcement yet.

Holy Mother of Snakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t kill and possums around the place, they help with them to.

Plan for the weekend:

Step one - get a 410 with some rat shot
    Step two - borrow a FoxPro caller
    Step three - download this audio file for it locust.wmv
    Step four - crack brew and wait

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
      I don't know why, but I always look under my desk after reading a snake thread.
      Same response as me, but I start looking DURING reading!

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
        This time of year, they congregate anywhere there are trees at night to eat cicadas as they emerge. I can guarantee you that's why there were there.
        Yep. Bet you have a large oak near your front porch.

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
          Don’t kill and possums around the place, they help with them to.

Plan for the weekend:

Step one - get a 410 with some rat shot
          Step two - borrow a FoxPro caller
          Step three - download this audio file for it locust.wmv
          Step four - crack brew and wait
          Snakes don't have ears.

Comment

When I was a kid the neighbor got bit by one on her porch. The next day her son killed 57 copperheads under the house.

Comment

Sell the house

Comment

There are no whacks in my nightmares. Just bangs!!!

Comment

Cicadas. Not much you can do.

Comment

Cicadas and baby gulf coast toads bring them in.

I’m not sure what would happen if you got you a snake stick to live catch them and just toss them in a feed tub to relocate them. I’d guess until the food sources are gone you’re going to have them.

I got a buddy that kills lots during the “food sources are by his house” season. Makes you wonder just how many are in the pasture. There’s a couple of 1000 acres of live oak scrub brush on the place and he kills all his in less than a acre around his house. I think it’s the lights that attracts all the toads and cicadas I guess are just there too.

Comment

I am going to have to show this to my wife. She will be a lot more careful walking around outside at night. Yesterday evening, I was in the house on the phone, my wife was outside watering her plants. Then I hear her screaming and yelling for me. So I dropped the phone, ran outside. Then she tells me there was a copper head, that went up under the steps of the deck. She went and got a flashlight. I looked around under the steps, sure enough, there was one coiled up under the steps, waiting for me.

So I went and got the flounder gig out again, went back found the snake, drug him out and popped him in the head with the gig. I am sure we have a mess of them, but right now, everywhere but our yard, is very thick jungle of brush and or weeds. Then all of the leaves under that stuff, it would be hard to find them, until they come slithering across our yard.

I have seen enough videos on guys catching lots of copper heads in traps, last night I decided I am going to start putting out some traps for them.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        Dang! That's a lot of wasted hat bands and bow limb covers all chopped up like that. $$$$$ down the drain.
                        I thought the same. I want some big copper heads for their hides, I missed a big one a couple years ago.

Comment

Cut them open and look at stomach contents. That might help ya out.

Or do a prescribed burn at 1am, which is my route.

Comment

We are on vacation returning home to East Tx tomorrow and we live in the country with some large oaks scattered around the house. I need to buy some shells for my 12 gauge cause I’m gonna be on the lookout. So far this year I’ve only seen two or three laying in the county road at night while heading home. I put the ole Tundra on them if I notice them quick enough

Comment

We used to live in a pier and beam house a while back. My wife likes glue traps, one of the many places she liked to put glue traps was at the end of the bathroom cabinet. Twice she caught a mouse and a rat snake on the glue trap in that spot. Obviously the mouse found a way in the house, the snake followed the mouse in the house. Twice, both the mouse and the snake got stuck on the same trap.

Years before, a neighbor down the road from us, had a big party one night and someone left a back door open. The next morning, there was a rattler under the daughter's bed.

As long as you don't have cicadas getting in the house, you are probably good. But then copperheads might eat mice also. They got to live off of something while the cicadas are down in the ground most of the year.
                              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 08-16-2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

It would have sounded like WW3 at my house. A machete is way to up close & personal for me!! Bullets would have been flying at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X