Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #51
db@100
Ten Point

My take on Government Assistance: To get assistance you work for 4 hours a day picking up trash on the side of the road and search for a job for 4 hours, That would qualify you for 8 hours of assistance.
It would not have to be picking up trash. It could be any job that you CAN do that we now pay taxes to get done. Some people can't work and that is okay, let them slide through.
If you are too good to do the job, then you are too good for the assistance
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #52
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

I don't want to work. I so dang tired all the time.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #53
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Deleted

Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 07-29-2021 at 03:32 PM.
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #54
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
My take on Government Assistance: To get assistance you work for 4 hours a day picking up trash on the side of the road and search for a job for 4 hours, That would qualify you for 8 hours of assistance.
It would not have to be picking up trash. It could be any job that you CAN do that we now pay taxes to get done. Some people can't work and that is okay, let them slide through.
If you are too good to do the job, then you are too good for the assistance
I agree but who would keep up with their hours. Government would have to hire more people and that would cost more than what they are currently paying in hand outs. JMO
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 02:34 PM   #55
3D Guy
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafishunter View Post
Yeah, not many people actually look at it this way as well.

Iím just mostly glad to get out of unemployment, but I honestly didnít like it at all.
It just made me so mad how people think they are struggling to hire people, but then thereís also people who are struggling to get a job.

Itís going both ways, not one.
I have experienced some of the same things you talked about. They say they need to hire, but a lot of employers are requiring a college degree for positions that don't require a college degree. (i.e. warehouseman, forklift operator). With so many out of work, they can raise the requirements and still get workers. I too, have submitted nearly a hundred resumes, have had interviews....but then nothing. Then I see the job listed later ??? I have applied for a job that I once worked at. Same company, same exact position. Left on good terms. Gave and worked out two week notice. Still no response. They had a layoff and laid off everyone within the department, and now business is picking up and have posted the job. Although they say there are not enough people wanting to work, I'm told that since I was laid off out of the oilfield, that don't want to hire me because when the oilfield industry comes back, they assume I will leave and go back to the oilfield.
3D Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #56
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

ladrones - government bailouts of businesses need to end, too. Bush and Obama started that and it needs to end now.
Dusty Britches is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #57
db@100
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
I agree but who would keep up with their hours. Government would have to hire more people and that would cost more than what they are currently paying in hand outs. JMO
Not hire more people... some unemployed person keeps up with time for their 4 hours a day.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #58
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

To the OP, what industry are you in that you are looking to hire?
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #59
LAW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction,Mullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
It's pathetic. My parents and grandparents as well as my siblings and I would be completely embarrassed to take a dime from the government (aka my neighbor) to not work. I would rather clean porta cans than take money from the government, if I could work but couldn't find a job.

We need to end welfare for all able bodied people. Let them get hungry.
Thatís why they are automatically depositing it into accounts.
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #60
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafishunter View Post
My problem is, while being unemployed for 10 months and sending like 30-60 applications to jobs that say they are desperately needing employees. And saying they canít find anyone to hire.
Then I apply, I get no responses whatsoever, then a week or 2 later. They would send out a new application out saying they are desperately hiring and blah blah blah.
So I would send out applications again, then no one contacts then itís the same never ending cycle again.

To me, if they are so desperately needing people, at least put an effort to all the applications that get send out.

Like who knows how many people are actually applying to them, but the company most likely has a very picky way of selecting the right person.
You might need to double check the resume, or do more research to see if your expectations are realistic.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #61
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Entry level jobs are just that. Heck, I have seen some people work and can confirm they were not worth $9 an hour. People complain that they can't raise their family working at McDonalds etc. Well, those entry level positions don't pay based on the financial needs of the worker--rather on the perceived value of the position/worker.

Donít be bringing common sense to this discussion or someoneís feelings might get hurt.

But but but everything costs more, just pay more. Business owners should just plant another money tree because nothing is more expensive on their end either right?
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #62
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
You might need to double check the resume, or do more research to see if your expectations are realistic.
Yeah I get 20-30 applicants on Indeed ads with no experince in any field related to the job posting. Most have never worked outside. They don't get a call. Not wasting my time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 04:19 PM   #63
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Yeah I get 20-30 applicants on Indeed ads with no experince in any field related to the job posting. Most have never worked outside. They don't get a call. Not wasting my time.

Racist against white people I see......
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 05:21 PM   #64
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Iím a fireman and have always worked on my days off from the FD. A couple months ago I saw an ad on Facebook jobs page for a yard hand at a redi mix company. I have some time so I went by there to inquire. $20 and hour to do labor in the yard. I said Iíll take it. I went by the tire / oil change shop a couple days ago and owner said he was 10 people short. Really thought about jumping in on that because he is paying 15 an hour and itís an inside job.
Employers have it hard not being able to find anyone wanting to work. You find oneÖÖ.you better pay them
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #65
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Just curious, you guy's that where laid off how much where you collecting? Was it the $900 a week I keep hearing?
Bassdeer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #66
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Work ethics are a big part of being raised correctly, spoil your offspring and they don’t want to work, it’s your fault!
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #67
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Let her take my spot. Iíve got deer to shoot, chickens to feed, & a rotary cutter needing attention
Bubba, I figured you'd see my comment and reply. Don't be mad at me for talking bad about your future secretary.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #68
Eatíem Up
Spike

The government is trying to establish a guaranteed living wage with the enhanced unemployment benefits and stimulus. It’s working pretty well. You can’t pay under $14 to $15 an hour anymore Only problem is the more money the pump in the more inflation goes up.
Eatíem Up is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #69
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

It's a cluster for sure.

My MIL inquired about a one bedroom retirement apartment near Georgetown. Lady told her $1,500 per month. At those prices I wouldn't want to work for $15 per hour either.

The cost of living and wages just aren't calcing out. Not sure what the government can do to fix what they have definitely had a hand, foot, and elbow in messing up.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #70
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
It's a cluster for sure.

My MIL inquired about a one bedroom retirement apartment near Georgetown. Lady told her $1,500 per month. At those prices I wouldn't want to work for $15 per hour either.

The cost of living and wages just aren't calcing out. Not sure what the government can do to fix what they have definitely had a hand, foot, and elbow in messing up.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
They can end welfare, unemployment, food stamps and every other hand out tomorrow. Along with stop printing money and by god this deal will be fixed in 40 days.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #71
Charrison
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatíem Up View Post
The government is trying to establish a guaranteed living wage with the enhanced unemployment benefits and stimulus. Itís working pretty well. You canít pay under $14 to $15 an hour anymore Only problem is the more money the pump in the more inflation goes up.
This right here.
Charrison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #72
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Maybe they're just students of Tuco. "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?"
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #73
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Maybe they're just students of Tuco. "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?"
https://youtu.be/GlA35y0bGQc
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #74
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Racist against white people I see......
Pretty much. Not the country boys though.

Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #75
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Most people want a check, not a job.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #76
HubCityThumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry County, sofa

Anyone been to Ruidoso lately? Bring your own groceries. Eating out is near impossible. Even the Allsupís was closed until the next day.
HubCityThumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 10:14 PM   #77
ElkTipper
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba, Oklahoma, New Mexico

wish i knew how to post the picture... but i dont.
posted at Mary's Cafe...

"Sadly, due to government handouts, no one wants to work anymore! Therefore, we are SHORT STAFFED! Please be patient with the staff that did choose to come to work today to serve you! Thank you for choosing Marys's Cafe - Strawn, Texas!"
ElkTipper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 10:48 PM   #78
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
I can show you how to turn $40 into $400.

Take $40 and fill up your gas tank and go to work and make $400.
That is fuzzy math for some people. Especially when they can stay home and make $600

Last edited by Hoggslayer; 07-29-2021 at 11:21 PM.
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 10:57 PM   #79
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTipper View Post
wish i knew how to post the picture... but i dont.
posted at Mary's Cafe...

"Sadly, due to government handouts, no one wants to work anymore! Therefore, we are SHORT STAFFED! Please be patient with the staff that did choose to come to work today to serve you! Thank you for choosing Marys's Cafe - Strawn, Texas!"
Saw that last week. Hardest working staff I ever saw.

To the OP: Letting people who donít work or pay taxes vote for politicians who will give them money. Thatís the problem.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2021, 11:40 PM   #80
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Guy View Post
I have experienced some of the same things you talked about. They say they need to hire, but a lot of employers are requiring a college degree for positions that don't require a college degree. (i.e. warehouseman, forklift operator). With so many out of work, they can raise the requirements and still get workers. I too, have submitted nearly a hundred resumes, have had interviews....but then nothing. Then I see the job listed later ??? I have applied for a job that I once worked at. Same company, same exact position. Left on good terms. Gave and worked out two week notice. Still no response. They had a layoff and laid off everyone within the department, and now business is picking up and have posted the job. Although they say there are not enough people wanting to work, I'm told that since I was laid off out of the oilfield, that don't want to hire me because when the oilfield industry comes back, they assume I will leave and go back to the oilfield.

I feel your pain. Right out of high school I spent 11 years... 11 faithful and PRODUCTIVE years for the same company in O&G working my way from a pipe yard hand to head of purchasing for a large outfit. Even moved from another state for that job. Got laid off in 2018 and spent several months looking before getting another O&G job with similar pay. Laid off two months later. Started driving a big rig and was not making enough to support the family much less see them. Settled for new career in landscape. Many here may remember my ďwork wantedĒ posts. Iím still making much less than my last O&G job, was laid off here then taken back, but I now have new skills doing work with TXDOT and large General Contractors. With the current jump with employers looking for help, they want the moon but want to send you there on a burger flipper salary. When I was looking just as recent as September to Feb, I had a total of TWO interviews and neither panned out.
Im grateful my current employer believed enough to take me back when things started rolling again. I spent more time on unemployment since 2018 than i care to admit. And i absolutely HATED it.

When I moved to the business side of things away from the manual labor, nobody would give me a second thought when I was willing to go back out in the yard, shop, or work site. Not even for their low wages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 08:13 AM   #81
DTala
Ten Point

they won't work because no one ever taught them a real work ethic and the government pays them to stay home and play on their I phone. Has nothing to do with low entry wages...a completely unskilled high school drop out has nothing to offer to get high wages. Burger flippers don't get high wages. Work yer way up the wage chain....like I said NO WORK ETHIC AT ALL.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #82
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
not saying this is the case with these 2 specific instances, but there is a right way and a wrong way to fill out an application. if a job posting says it wants a person with XYZ skills and knowledge, you should tailor your application and resume around the XYZ skills and knowledge you have. If the next job posting wants ABC skills and knowledge, you should tailor the application and resume around ABC, not XYZ or DEF. you may need 5+ versions of your resume. if you have entry level skills, you cannot apply to be the president and expect an interview. answers to questions on the application should be well thought out with no grammar or punctuation errors. and your contact email address should not be something like "iloveguns@gmail or hotmomma69@yahoo or trump2024@hotmail"
In my friends wife's case, she is a hairdresser. She has over 20yrs experience. So how many ways can she fill out an application for hair salons?
Goldeneagle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 08:24 AM   #83
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Didn’t the supplemental unemployment end June 26 in Texas? Wonder if some of these people will start heading back to work soon
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 08:25 AM   #84
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I'm at work right now. And the better question is who does want to? It sucks.

If I could get paid to stay at home for the rest of my life I would. But unfortunately I can't do that. Maybe I'll get injured today and get workmans comp or get a huge settlement out of the deal. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by okrattler; 07-30-2021 at 08:28 AM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 08:59 AM   #85
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Some people were never taught (or never learned) to earn their way in life.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #86
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I'm at work right now. And the better question is who does want to? It sucks.

If I could get paid to stay at home for the rest of my life I would. But unfortunately I can't do that. Maybe I'll get injured today and get workmans comp or get a huge settlement out of the deal. Fingers crossed.
At least you have a goal with motivation to work toward
Most dont
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #87
riverbowman
Ten Point

This is killing the healthcare industry. The lower wage earners are choosing not to work. The higher paid folks are now working 8 days a week to make up for that, on top of the stress of covid for the last year or so. Now even they are leaving the industry at record numbers because of burn out. Domino effect.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 12:21 PM   #88
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
At least you have a goal with motivation to work toward
Most dont
LOL
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 12:33 PM   #89
Creedmore
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde County

Creedmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #90
Capp35
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard county

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
Im having the hardest time hiring help... seems like Ive had the ad out for 3 months now and 2 of the 3 applicants were no shows for interviews. Usually I have more apps than I can look at!
What is the position?
Never too late for a career change.
Capp35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 12:48 PM   #91
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I have been super lucky with my employees loyalty, and I sure hope it continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here but my business is growing and I need more people. I have add out for last 6 month and a grand total of two people have answered my add.
sotx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 01:09 PM   #92
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmore View Post
The Sonic in Weatherford had on their sign ď$100.00 sign on bonusĒ.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top