High School Athletes Endorsements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Athletes Endorsements?

What do y’all think of this? This could open the door for many high school athletes. Also leads to the question should high school athletes get that kind of money? Personally I don’t think so.

Heck yeah. Let them do it.

Capitalism rules! Murica!

Comment

If the schools get to make millions off a kids name, the kids should be able to make some too. If I read the story right the kid has one class to take to be able to graduate. If he can do it online prior to university classes starting more power to him.

We've made sports into something more important than it really is....only makes sense that this is where things are heading.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Heck yeah. Let them do it.

Capitalism rules! Murica!
        This

Comment

I dont think it will make its way to HS but I am surprised he is staying for his senior year instead of going straight to Ohio.

He may intend to graduate in december after the hs season is over.

Comment

I don’t think it’s for any of us to tell someone else what they can or can’t legitimately earn based on their skills or talent.

Comment

If college players can profit off of their NIL, and maintain their amateur status, I think HS kids/JR High kids should be able to do the same. The legal analysis is effectively similar. It will be a mess if it happens; however, I believe it should (legally).

Comment

As long as he meets the college entrance requirements I think he should pursue it. I'm jealous, but it's never been for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex21 View Post
                  I dont think it will make its way to HS .
                  Nike, Addidas, and Reebok along with their shoe company reps have been paying high school basketball players for decades. AAU Travel ball and summer camps were often the means to recruit high profile players who were often encouraged to go pro.

Ironically, this whole NIL legal stuff began with Sonny Vaccaro who helped put the aforementioned shoe brands on the map. Vaccaro was instrumental in signing young basketball athletes to shoe contracts. Sonny saw how the NCAA, colleges, and EA Sports were making billions off amateur athletics, and not allowing kids in college to profit off their name, image, and likeness. It all started with Ed O'Bannon at UCLA, and Sonny supported him in taking the NCAA to court. The rest is history.

With Pandora's Box being opened for amateur athletes, only a matter of time before the high profile HS's start getting compensated.

Comment

Working...
                  X