• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
    Vortex flies like field points ALSO. RAGE SUCK
    I have never lost a deer to rageā€¦
    Rage in a crossbow is deadly.

Comment

I agree. I've used the Rage Hypodermic Crossbow broad heads with ZERO issues. Lots of carnage and no mechanical failures IN MY CROSSBOW.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Now, what's that Boss Bowman gonna say about you having a "Crossbow".

Just ribbng ya brother .
        He won't hunt with me anymore.
        Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 07-20-2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

My wife bought it for me for my Birthday, but it took some convincing. Still not sure if there's much benefit over just using my compound, but I'm still green with it. I had three points that it would be a good purchase.

1. I have three boy's, and keeping up with buying new compounds for them would get really expensive.

2. I wanted a new toy to play with(I didn't tell her that on)

3. It was a really good deal on clearance at Midway(I show her that, like three times, and showed her how much we would save vs buying new bows for the boys
          That all sounds good to me sir!

I do find it fun! It's just another way of hunting for me. Another way to put some meat in the freezer too. Just like bouncing between trad, wheels bows, shotguns, pistol, and rifles. Even sling shots and blow guns, it's about the hunt.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

following.

Comment

So I got this Sniper Elite 385. I'm shooting 20" Pile Driver bolts tipped with 100gr points. I'm really suprised how much they drop. 10-20 is same, and 30 is on with the next little circle on the crossbow scope. I would have thought it would've been flatter then that. Only thing I can figure is aiming with a scope vs aiming with peep and pin on a bow is more precise and it is actually flatter it just doesn't seem it.

I can aim a touch high at 30 with my compound and be dead on. So pretty much one pin zero to 30. 31' draw at 65lbs.

Probably will be turning down the lbs this year and going back to 30 or 30.5 in draw. 65# is felt a little to high last year, and I don't get out in the back yard and practice regularly like I used to.

And it's getting tougher out there on the Public grounds(in my opinion). IDK TG might have'em all tied up somewhere
              Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 07-28-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                Preferably one I can actually pull the arrow out of without giving myself a hernia!
                Arrow removers (thick piece of sturdy heavy duty plastic) works well for those stubborn bolts.

Comment

And it's getting tougher out there on the Public grounds(in my opinion). IDK TG might have'em all tied up somewhere

LOL!

No need to tie them up. They know what "stay put and don't move" means.

I had to cut back on my poundage too back in 2008. Dropped from 72 down to 60. So I just got a faster wheelie bow in 2010.

I'm still draw-n 28" with both Elites. But 27.5" with the "Frankenstein" DXT.

I've got a 2015 CX Interceptor crossbow. It's not the same as the current model of today. And it's a little below it's advertised speed in fps. Probably needs tuning. But still pretty close if you use a weighted arrow at 380gr, wich is what it was rated at. But my Ravin R29X shoots slightly above mfg rated speed of 450 fps. That is common with that brand on most of their products to shoot at or above rated speed (a change for once!). Their arrows weigh 400gr. I've added lighted nocks to mine and a 125gr head to make them 441-442gr. And they are shooting 441-443 fps. I've also got the Sniper package for it with the Jackplate. I've shot them out to 80 so far, just for grins. I plan to target shoot out to 100 or greater. But ain't shooting at a deer at that distance with it. No way! Maybe a pig though!

In the X-bow world, mfgs rate X-bows to an arrow weight each mfg chooses. They can be anything from 350gr to 450gr pending mfg. Lots of first timers wind up disappointed that their bow isn't shooting what the mfg rates it at, mostly because they aren't shooting the mfg's rated bolt for that model. I found this out the hard way with my first modern day X-bow. It was clocked with a 380 bolt (minimum recommended weight). But, my package came with Maxima bolts. Even with a 100 grain tip, they still weighed 410grs. When I ran it through the crony, I was kinda disappointed, till I figured it all out. Many buy a bow, then separate bolts only to find this out. But don't mean your X-bow won't shoot at rated speed.

And speaking of "tuning", wheelie crossbows need tuning just like vertical wheelie bows. Although fast, my Ravin has to have constant attention to keep it properly tuned. If to far out of tune, it can lead to a devastating situation if one is not aware, such as new first timers. Anyway, reguardless of the way each of you decides to hunt this coming season, I hope success for each, many memories be made, and please be safe!

Comment

I'm personally not too hung up on the speed this thing cranks out. It's just about double what my Z7 shoots so I'm thrilled.
                    I've shot it at 5 yards and out to 30 and it's dang near POA/POI and that's flinging about 475gr bolts. Once I get to tuning with the big broadheads it may be another story but if it'll stay inside a couple inches at 30yds I'm golden.

Comment

That's all we can ask for Art. I'm in agreement with ya. Good distance for WT.

Comment

Ok, what's the secret to quieting an X-bow down? It's not bad, but it's louder then what I like.

Comment

There's really no secrete. They are loud. Especially when coming from a vertical background like us, it's more noticeable. You can add limb dampeners. And some mfgs provide string stop kits. But in the end, they are still a good bit louder. I also noticed that the longer the limbs, there's a slight reduction in noise. And the less poundage, again, a slight reduction. It's just another reason to get really close to your game.

Comment

I put limb dampers on mine but I’m not sure they did much to quiet it down. Maybe a little.
                            I’ve read that using heavier bolts will help with the noise also.

Comment

I use two hay bales, spacing one about 4 ft. behind the other. Bolt usually blows through the first one and partially into the second one. Rarely a problem removing the bolt.

Comment

Working...
                              X