Copperheads in TEXAS .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tadmaryperry View Post
    we've got lots in E Texas. My wife was struck twice on the hand last year while gardening. Spent a week in ICU!
    Man thats SCARY. Hope shes alright.

Comment

No deer in Jack County but tons of Copperheads !!!!!

Comment

she's good now, thx aaronwragg! They thought she would lose some function of the hand....talked about skin grafts...but none of that was needed! She was blessed for sure!

Comment

Plenty in N-Texas.

Comment

If you have a lot of oaks " hard woods " in Texas, then there will be copperheads.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
              I learn something new every day.

My friends tell me their dogs, cats and kids have been bitten.

I've been in Texas for 29 years and on a number of deer leases around the state and until last week never saw a copperhead.
              We’ve had a ranch in NE coleman county for 25+ years and never seen one, but I know they are in other areas of the county.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                Seems to me, in my un-researched opinion, that copperheads account for most of the snake bites in Texas. For sure in East Texas, but there is just something about those boogers that seem to always be biting people. Rattlesnakes will at least warn you (most of the time)
                My experience they always try to get away. Haven't come across many aggressive ones.

Comment

I'm in Decatur and the only Venomous snake I've ever seen near my place was a Timber Rattler. I'm sure copperheads and cottonmouths are around, just never encountered any. We have Water Snakes and Bull Snakes though

Comment

We don't walk in our back yard after dark without a light, ever! Or at least, ever when it's not dead of winter. Kill anywhere from a couple to ten each year in the immediate back yard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hear at the House the wife is the Copper Head Killa!
                      she normaly kills 2 a year, especialy if they are mating by or back door.
                      but this year Caddo Mills, seems to have been over run with them, so there are many stories from all the new City folk turn countery folk freaking out... (perhaps they will leave and go back to were they from )

Comment

Kill them all the time around our place. Have stepped on 2 different ones on the way to barn or truck at night. Thankfully had boots on both times.

Comment

I got bit by one on the inner ankle this year. Saturday May 29th at about 9 pm. I was walking out to shut the chickens up. Flip flops, fresh cut grass, flash light.......heard a crack, and felt instant pain. Pain that didn't stop for atleast 5 hours. I called my JRT's over, and they killed the little snake immediately.

I went to the ER, and they monitored it for 2 hours. Doc said if the swelling goes past your knee within 2 hours, then they will give the anti-venom. Luckily it only got to my upper ankle that night. They said the snake didn't give me much venom. It was small copperhead too, which I was always told would give you all its venom. Anyway, I walked into the ER, but I had to have help getting out!!! I couldn't put any pressure on my left foot.

2 days on the couch, and I was back to work on Tuesday. The swelling spread all the way to about 3" above my knee. It took about 4 weeks for the swelling to go down!!

It's been 7 weeks, and when side by side, you can still see a difference between my ankles. It's wierd. Itches from time to time too. I am glad it was me, and not one of my kids. I feel blessed that the snake didn't fully envenomate. The pain I delt with was terrible, and I couldn't imagine getting a full dose!

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                            Seems to me, in my un-researched opinion, that copperheads account for most of the snake bites in Texas. For sure in East Texas, but there is just something about those boogers that seem to always be biting people. Rattlesnakes will at least warn you (most of the time)
                            I think it's mostly because they rely on their camouflage to hide them until danger passes. Same way with Timber Rattlesnakes. Every one of them I've seen and handled were more docile than a lot of non-venomous species. You'd literally have to try to get bit. They get stepped on because of it.

Most snakes are gonna try to get out of the way. They don't seem to all the time especially if they're curled up waiting on food.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 07-20-2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I’ve lived in Williamson county since 81’ and I’ve never seen one. Been hunting the hill country for 15yrs and never seen one.

Comment

Live in Fayette County, haven’t seen any snakes this year until Friday nite, took the dog out about 11:30 that nite, copperhead on driveway and a dang rat snake on front porch. Then Saturday nite about 8:30, copperhead in front yard. Dang had just mowed on Friday so grass was short and easily could see them. Husband dispatched them. I was creeped out!

Comment

Working...
                                X