No announcement yet.

Taos NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All kinds of places to fish on the Rio Grande. Lots of turnouts off HWY 68 South of town toward Pilar and Embudo where you can park and get to the River. Also North of town around the John Dunn bridge. Definitely stop and eat at Orlando's if you head North of town. You can also drive up 518 toward Las Vegas and fish the Rio Pueblo near Sipapu Ski Resort. Smaller fish up there, but very scenic.

Comment

Can't wait to get up there. Best part on the drive is no cities to go thru.

Comment

Ttt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          Can't wait to get up there. Best part on the drive is no cities to go thru.
          Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
            Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.
            Exactly as I want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
              I usually just strike out and explore and fish on my own when I go trout fishing but about two years ago my brother in law and nephew wanted to go. My son went as well. So we had 3 people who have very, very limited to no fly fishing experience and wanted them to have a good first experience with trout fishing. We booked Doc Thompson and Shane from High Country Anglers and had a super trip fishing several of their private waters. Fantastic fishing, decent quality fish and they are really good guys. Even the first timers caught lots of fish.

I have also fished that area on my own and have done OK. Lots of good options. Stop by the fly shop and visit with them. They will give you some good options. I have fished Valle Vidal and it was awesome but doesn't open until the first part of July. And like said above it may not be an option. But there are plenty of other areas. I've done pretty well on the Cimarron between Eagle Nest and Ute Park. Also have caught some fish between Red River and Questa on the Red River but it was only so-so for me.

If you stay in Taos there are tons of great places to eat. Michael's was a favorite for breakfast. Lambert's was really good, a little more upscale. La Cueva is a pretty good lunch spot. I can't remember all the places we have eaten in Taos but I don't think I found a bad meal there yet. Lots of good places to eat. Red River, not so much. Eagle Nest, not so much. Red River has a newish micro brewery/restaurant that looked good but was packed when we went through. Last time we stayed in RR the food options were not what I would call great. But it's a cool place to stay.

There are several good micro breweries that have tasting rooms. There is one just outside of Eagle Nest that is a great place to grab a couple beers after you come off the water. We watched elk in the meadows off in the distance from there as we sat outside and drank a beer. It was a nice way to wrap up a day of fishing. I think that is the Comanche Creek Brewery. There was another good one north of Taos towards the Rio Grande Gorge bridge. Taos Mesa Brewing or something like that.
              Got a trip booked with Doc for our second day up there.

Comment

Tagged, I will be there in August

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                  Got a trip booked with Doc for our second day up there.
                  Good deal, you'll have fun.

Comment

Ttt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Horse Shoe and Lost Lake are great lakes to fish but you'll need to take your hiking boots to get there.

Also try Shotgun Willie's in Red River for breakfast.

Comment

You could fish Hopewell lake off Hwy 64 as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X