No announcement yet.

Richland Creek South hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It said on the tpwd hunt site that it is by compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
      Is this the 1st year that baiting is allowed?

Did anyone else draw the Dec. 4th Hunt? I’ll be there solo.
      I think we will be there then.

Postcard archery hunt

We will be camping in the campground on the south side

As far as scouting goes I don't know that they allow ATV/UTV use any time but on the drawn hunts. So you better be up for some walking.
      Plus with them assigning compartments at orientation you may not even get your first, second or even third choice based on your scouting

Gus is different because they have lots more roads to get you closer to areas you want to look at.

I think I rode 2 miles to where I parked my 4 wheeler last year and that was from where we parked the truck after accessing area through private property, don't think you can access that point except during hunts
      Matter of fact I only know of 2 access points on the south unit that might be open most of the time and that is the main and the campground.

I don't know that any unit is better than the others so we just took what we were given and made the best of it.
      I saw a couple of nice deer down the lanes they had cut but they were not on the unit we were in

Comment

If you talking about accessing the back of the south unit off ranch road 210 I think your right you can only do that during the hunt period, the number of locks on that gate at the end of that road is impressive.

Comment

It all overflow bottom land off the trinity river. It had been timbered years ago so a lot of the older oaks got cut. There are pockets of oaks here and there that if they have acorns on them it will be like a feeder if you can find them. Last time I hunted there the hogs were awful you couldn’t hunt deer for the hogs. There are slews that will hold water, the river and open fields. I look around these for pinches and trails. It is very flat not a lot of terrain change. Some of the units have rows or roads they will mow. You can walk these and look for trails crossing them. It’s a hard hunt but there are good deer in that bottom for sure.

Comment

You guys need to stop depending on tech and actually get out there and scout, from scouting it a few years ago the south unit deer density is many times more than gus engeling just down the road but engeling looks much better on maps.[/QUOTE]

Let me just make that 13hr 20 min drive from Colorado real quick. Trust me if I was able to I’d be scouting. But instead trying to use other resources to do my due diligence before a hunt.

Comment

Colorado has an abundance of public land, why are you applying here?

Comment

I did a little scouting yesterday. I got there early and there were probably 30 deer in the Tarrant Water District area below the dam and another 15 or so in the power line cut in the safety zone when you enter the wma. Lots of bucks too but nothing huge.

Once you drop down into the flat wma area I must say it is pretty intimidating. Nothing but incredibly thick woods and 6” of water covering everything along the road right now. Kind of looks like what I would expect hunting south Florida to look like. Many of the “roads” they have cut through the wma had 6’ tall weeds and were under water. They did have some of the cuts north of the park road mowed so I hiked back up that direction and then went back into the woods on some higher ground about 3/4 of a mile. Saw several groups of does and fawns and lots of coyote, deer and hog sign. Tons of hog sign. Didnt find any swamp donkeys though. No snakes and no gators seen. Going to be a very challenging hunt to say the least but easy to see why there are some big deer in there.

Found some great oak trees that should draw deer from all over... but they are in the campground.

Comment

Found the book from last year, that was the first year they allowed it they also had some post card hunts for the north unit in 2019, appears Engeling has allowed bait for a long while now

Comment

I will be there for the hunt on the 4th

Comment

I’ll be there the 16th. This is the first time to be drawn for any hunt, so I’m pretty stocked. I did speak to someone at the office Tuesday, and they said that the areas that have already been mowed, will more than likely be the only thing that will get mowed this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Krogers View Post
                        I was drawn for oct. 2nd anyone else have those dates? Looking at onX it doesn’t look the best but always up to try a new area.
                        I also got drawn for Oct. 2nd and will probably be headed out there solo

Comment

One question. After initial check in the first day are you required to check in each day or can we come and go to our compartment or section each day as we want.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Check in by putting your marker on a board showing your in your compartment.

Comment

Is Friday only an orientation/scouting day or can you start hunting too?

Comment

You can hunt in the PM orientation day at least thats how they always did it at Granger
                                Last edited by bossbowman; 09-11-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X