The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
    I’m down on the coast but in Longview for work. Y’all are a target rich environment up here!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same here. I live over between Waco and Corsicana, but I’m here working. I have thermals, cans and guns up here with me. Lol I just need some places to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JRM View Post
      Same here. I live over between Waco and Corsicana, but I’m here working. I have thermals, cans and guns up here with me. Lol I just need some places to go.

That’s my big purchase this year, all my buddies got cans so I’m gonna get a new .308 upper with a shorter barrel and a can.

Didn’t bring my rig but I’ve been making friends and putting bugs in landowners ears along the ROW

Comment

Shot this guy a couple weeks ago with the PTS536 @ 230 yards. Called in 6 dogs that night but couldn’t get them to commit closer than about 200 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_IV View Post
          Shot this guy a couple weeks ago with the PTS536 @ 230 yards. Called in 6 dogs that night but couldn’t get them to commit closer than about 200 yards.
          Good kill! Question on your flir, did you mess with the fine tune settings to get a better picture? I turned the smartscene totally off because when it sensed heat it would white out the screen. I didn’t like it flipping back and forth while scanning.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Man I wish their video looked like that thru the eyepiece. Their videos are legit and so much better then the actual eyepiece.
            You are comparing one eye looking at a 3.3” CCD screen versus 2 eyes looking at a 15” HD 4K monitor it’s gonna look better. But the recording system easily loses a lot of clarity. So live is still better in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
              Now lets go hunt sometime.
              You gonna put that bow down for a hot minute? Say it ain't so!!

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                Good kill! Question on your flir, did you mess with the fine tune settings to get a better picture? I turned the smartscene totally off because when it sensed heat it would white out the screen. I didn’t like it flipping back and forth while scanning.

Yes, I fine tuned it some. I typically run white hot or outdoor alert depending on conditions. This night was really foggy and I was impressed with the distance I could see. The background wasn’t near as crisp as a typical night but it got the job done. I also run a pulsar quantum lite to scan with so the Flir is for long range ID and shooting only.

Comment

Just got the Armasight Zeus 336 looking forward to breaking it in this weekend. I have had the Photon RT for almost 2 years now and I am super excited to finally have thermal.

My buddy just got the Wraith and I will say that the Wraiths NV capabilities are not as good as the Photon straight out of the box. The photon can see much further and is better at picking up ambient light from the moon.
                  He bought the Coyote IR light and although the IR light is as big as the scope he can see a lot further and can spot and ID animals over 500 yards away.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
                    You are comparing one eye looking at a 3.3” CCD screen versus 2 eyes looking at a 15” HD 4K monitor it’s gonna look better. But the recording system easily loses a lot of clarity. So live is still better in my experience.
                    To me the video's look way better. It does not look like that thru the scope. No chance.

Comment

On the reviews for the wraith, they are saying out to 200 yards. Is that in pitch black with IR light?

With a full moon, can you see and ID much further? Is the IR light even needed?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                        You gonna put that bow down for a hot minute? Say it ain't so!!
                        I got two more weeks of bow hunting before I give it up for a week or two

Honestly I think I'm done with the bow for a while. That lil pig I shot with my rifle last week got my trigger finger itching real good. Plus its varmint season and I wanna do a few comps

Comment

Staying in Longview for work and found a pulsar Trail type battery cover in the parking lot.

Both mine are at the house, if you stayed here this week holla and I’ll get it back too ya

Comment

May need help from you guys with NV/thermals...

I’m helping on a 500 acre high fence 60 minutes south of Dallas that we’d love to have some varmints taken care of

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2131.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	24604745Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	24604744Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	24604743

So far 2020 has been pretty slow for me. I’ve been out twice and only seen and killed one boar each night.

First one was with the 20” grendel wearing the wraith shot between the eyes 125yards.

2nd boar was shot with a 16” 458 socom wearing the wraith 140 yard shot 325gr hornady FTX bullet crushed the front leg and he fell straight over.

Hopefully the action will pick up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                                I’ve got a flir pts536 that I use for driving around our cornfields and pastures and it’s very nice for that purpose, but not for walking and stalking. Question is does the halo 3.5 have to much magnification for stalking up on a pack of hogs at 30-75 yds, is the field of view wide enough?
                                The Halo LR isn't really 3.5x although the specs say that. The general consensus is that it's closer to 3 or 3.25x. I don't think it's too much for 30 yards if you don't plan on taking a lot of follow up shots but it's definitely not too much for 75 yards. It's definitely a touch more than I'd want for 50 yards or less IF you're planning on taking a bunch of follow up shots. I've used it at 30-40 yards with no problem and it's definitely a MUCH wider FOV than the PTS536 but it's still a little more mag that I'd want for tons of those close shots.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X