Snakebite now time for a dog collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snakebite now time for a dog collar

My black lab got bit by a Rattle Snake about a year ago and luckily made a full recovery. It’s now time to get her revenge and turn that snake into a collar. Does anyone have a recommendation for a project like this? I live in Austin but would be willing to ship. Thanks for any recommendations.

Interesting idea. Also, have you done the snake avoidance class?

My only concern would be that it might mess with the dogs ability to sent a snake and thus avoid it.

I’m probably overthinking it though. Good luck with the search!

Comment

Originally posted by TTUgrad08 View Post
      Interesting idea. Also, have you done the snake avoidance class?

My only concern would be that it might mess with the dogs ability to sent a snake and thus avoid it.

I’m probably overthinking it though. Good luck with the search!
      She’s done snake avoidance and I’ve “tested” her with dead snakes with good results. Getting her used to the snake smell and thus undoing the training was a concern. However, after the skin is cured the snake smell goes away so think it will be fine.

Comment

Is the hide already dried and softened? If so just take whatever collar your using, wrap the skin around it and run that sucker through a sewing machine.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
          Is the hide already dried and softened? If so just take whatever collar your using, wrap the skin around it and run that sucker through a sewing machine.
          Hide is tanned and ready to go. I’m wanting something longer lasting as she more than likely will never/rarely wear the collar. Something that more commemorates the event in a way.

Comment

As a lab guy, that sounds like a terrible idea

Comment

Originally posted by The Texan View Post
              Hide is tanned and ready to go. I’m wanting something longer lasting as she more than likely will never/rarely wear the collar. Something that more commemorates the event in a way.
              You can also use that gorilla glue spray adhesive before you sew it. That will help keep it in place on the collar.

Comment

Try Danny Collins leather he is a member here but I cannot remember his user name.
                Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by 14JKURX View Post
                  Try Danny Collins leather he is a member here but I cannot remember his user name.
                  Good Luck

I believe it Okbowhunter . I have a few things from him .

Comment

Have you discussed this with the dog? She might not like having the snake that bit her wrapped around her neck. But if she is ok with it, it sounds like a cool idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      Have you discussed this with the dog? She might not like having the snake that bit her wrapped around her neck. But if she is ok with it, it sounds like a cool idea.
                      Sounds metal AF

Comment

Horizon kennels in Sealy is running snake training this weekend I think. Make the drive. My black lab did 4 months there and is great. Not worth the risk. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                          I believe it Okbowhunter . I have a few things from him .
                          Thanks, I’ll reach out to him.

Comment

Working...
                          X