A story about Grace !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A story about Grace !

So last week, I decided I needed a break from day to day life. What better way to do this, than go hog hunting in 105 degree weather. I headed up to Oklahoma to get away from the crowds because I really needed some quiet time. Wound up going to a rather large WMA to lose myself in the wilderness. As I’m driving through the place about 10 miles back and seeing no one, I noticed a dog peeking out of the woods. Drove by and thought, must be a hiker out here in the BFE. After a short thought, I decided to go back due to not seeing any vehicles anywhere. So this dog is very reluctant to come to me but wound up coaxing it to me with beef jerky. After seeing the dog up close, I realize it’s starving to death. I called the Ranger and told him about it. He said it’s been there 2 years and only been seen 2-3 times and won’t get near anyone .He said he’d go look, so I decided to go on my way and hunt, like I came here to do. I watched the Ranger circle through and never stop, so I knew he didn’t find the dog. So I walk 4 miles in deep and found the hogs, thick too. Was so happy to have found my prey on the first try. Hit a limb and missed a huge sow. So I decided to wait by this water hole for more to return.
    As I sat there I got kind of hungry, only to realize I had fed my jerky and crackers to the dog. I sat and thought what it would really be like to be HUNGRY !
    I started feeling bad about leaving the dog in it’s current condition. So I decided to go back where I last saw it. Had it marked on OnX. I returned only to find the dog gone. Go figure. So I drove back and forth for an hr and a half hollering, honking, calling the dog, rattling jerky bag, to no prevail. By now I feel so bad about the dog, that I can’t get right. Actually saddened my heart worse than anything. After an hr and half I decided I just have to give up, after all the dog has only been seen 2-3 times in 2 years. As I approached the gate to leave, I looked at my clock and said one more pass through there. I don’t remember praying so hard for anything, I needed closure on this one . I turned around and
    1.5 miles in it crosses the road in front of me and hides in the brush. I get out take my truck stash of food and get it to come to me again. I decided to get a rope and make a noose. Once I put it around it’s neck, wow ! Talk about going Cra Cra. Like a wild dog. Now I have a noose on a crazy dog and started to worry.
    When I let off the pressure it stood and stared at me, I popped the rope a couple times and said Here ! It started following me to the truck. I opened the door and said Load Up ! At which the dog tried but didn’t have the strength to jump. I loaded it in floorboard and headed straight home. Was there for a 2 day hunt, but decided it was now a rescue mission. God had a major role in me finding this dog.
    Like a needle in 3 haystacks. It was meant to be, and I couldn’t deny.
    I send my wife a pic of our new pet, and she says, I think that’s a coyote or something. To which I tell her, No it’s not s coyote. A couple of her friends said, they think it’s a coyote. Now granted these girls aren’t from the woods like us.
    Never even gave it a thought. Made appt a vet following day, for vacc and check up. As I walked in the first word out of the vets mouth, was, you know that dog is half coyote. To which I said, you think so ? A few people mentioned their thoughts but weren’t credible sources lol. She begins to tell me there is mo doubt, due to certain features this dog has. Ears, eyes, muzzle, ridge on back of skull, high elbows, curled long canines. So I think I saved a Coydog. Regardless I prayed to God for this dog, and she appeared. I named her Grace ! (Second Chance) a true gift from God. She will have a forever home here at the farm. She is starting to come around pretty good. Will only come to me not wife or others. And she started yipping a little yesterday. Must be part coyote.
    Come to find out, the boys in Oklahoma are doing a lot of cross breeding
    With coyotes and dogs to make superior tracking dogs.
    She probably got lost some time ago and has had a rough time on her own.
    Here she is.
    Attached Files

My first thought was, "Why would someone have a coyote in their truck?" After the read I get it ... Good on you for taking her in, and the name fits! Congrats on the new pup.

Comment

Good right up.
      It does have some coyote features.

Comment

Awesome story sasqy. Good on you sir.

Comment

What a great story to read today. Kudos to you and I hope she brings you great joy....you already have for her!
          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Enjoyed the read. Pls repost when she fattens up. She may become as famous as Boaris!

Comment

I'm like you, would not have said coyote off the bat.

But, good on you! I hope she becomes the dog you want her to be.

Comment

I like it. A lot. Says a lot about the person you are. I hope she comes around and turns into a good dog for you.

Comment

Such a good deed!

Comment

What an outstanding story!

Comment

great read!!! Good luck with her..

Comment

Great rescue, I’m sure she’ll repay you many, many times over!

Comment

Good story. Keep us updated on the new journey she has ahead (and you).

You typically don’t rescue them as much as they rescue you. You just don’t know it yet.

Comment

Enjoyed the read and congrats on the new dog. Need more pics when you get her in good shape.

Comment

Great write brother! Looking forward to the rest of this story, in your lives together.

Comment

Working...
                              X