05 Mustang computer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

05 Mustang computer question

I had been chasing an EVAP system check engine code for a couple weeks and finally put it in the shop. They came back with a bad computer and wanted $800 to replace.

I hopped online and found a new one programmed for $185 or for another $65 they would send uncut programmed keys( I opted to just use the keys I had since I had 3 and it would be cheaper to have the locksmith do a parameter reset as I can swap the computer in their parking lot)

After receiving the computed I called the locksmith to confirm they were able to do this on Saturday. They said it needed to be flashed by a mechanic and then they would sent a tech to the shop(for an additional $70 for the tech to go the shop)

Before I purchased the computer I call the seller and discussed what it would take to install. They said it did not require any additional shop work just the locksmith the set it up with the PATS chipped key system.

I talked to the seller again on Saturday and again they said it was ready to go and had been flashed with the VIN number and the latest Ford programs. I again talked to the locksmith and again he said that was incorrect.

So I called the seller again. They said there was nothing more they could do. It was set up and ready to go. They did offer to let me send the computer back and then sell me the preprogrammed keys and send it all back(hindsight I should have done that) The keys would just need to be cut.

So my questions is: Is the locksmith wrong or the seller? I am outside of Tomball on the Waller side if any of you guys are close.

I would just send it back and get the keys but I only have 2 weeks until my daughter heads off to college and its her car.

Below are the instructions for set up.

Forgot the attachment

The car runs and drives as it but the CEL is on for the EVAP and the O2 sensor heater
    Attached Files

Comment

After messing with a Ford PATS system once, I would pay the $800 to the shop and let them fool with it and warranty their work. It's a huge PITA that can issues later even after it's been "fixed"

Comment

Call the locksmith, tell him you had the computer flashed and towed the car home, and to come to where the car is currently parked, and get the key working.

The way you described it, the people you bought the new computer from already did what the the locksmith is saying needs to be done (programming the new computer to the VIN of your car). The next step is the locksmith to do their job.

Comment

Maybe a different locksmith

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            Call the locksmith, tell him you had the computer flashed and towed the car home, and to come to where the car is currently parked, and get the key working.

The way you described it, the people you bought the new computer from already did what the the locksmith is saying needs to be done (programming the new computer to the VIN of your car). The next step is the locksmith to do their job.
            This is what I'm thinking. If I understand correctly the ECU is already "looking" for the new key. You just have to make the new key mechanically fit the the ignition switch. Unless I am missing something...

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
              This is what I'm thinking. If I understand correctly the ECU is already "looking" for the new key. You just have to make the new key mechanically fit the the ignition switch. Unless I am missing something...
              The new key mechanically fits. The computer needs to recognized my old keys and know that it's me and not a thief trying to steal it.

Comment

I reached out to a couple places trying to get clarification. Still don't have an answer

Comment

Post this over on corral.net

You’ll get the correct answer pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamvo View Post
                    Post this over on corral.net

You’ll get the correct answer pretty quick.
                    Oh, yea, you will get great answers there. They will have you replacing the same four parts 8 times.

Comment

I would bet the computer is not the problem to begin with. I would take the car to someone else with more knowledge and let them look at the car. I seriously doubt the computer is the problem.

I am going to bet, you spend a good bit of money and waist time, getting the computer replaced and the keys taken care of, in one way or another. Then find it still has the same codes.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        Oh, yea, you will get great answers there. They will have you replacing the same four parts 8 times.
                        You’ll definitely get bad advice and consistently find someone who wants to argue with on forums.

Mustang’s get modified a lot. The guys that work on them are over there.

Comment

I’ve gone back through this thread. Did you check the gas cap or the evap lines leaving the tank before you did all of this?

ECU problems are extremely rare…..I mean really rare.

The other thing is not all CEL are “bad”. My son has been driving the 07 Avalanche I bought him since 2015. It has a code for an evap leak. The seal on the top of the tank is bad.

The truck drives fine and I’m not dropping the tank fix it. It’s a 15yr old truck.

Do you diagnose your vehicle issues or do you go off what the dealer/shop says?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamvo View Post
                            You’ll definitely get bad advice and consistently find someone who wants to argue with on forums.

Mustang’s get modified a lot. The guys that work on them are over there.
                            There are guys on there, that have to give you their opinion, which is usually parroting what they remember someone else having said previously, for what sounded like a similar problem, that someone else asked about. Now sometimes, what they say is actually correct, but they don't understand why it's correct, they are just repeating what someone else said previously.

There are quite a few parrots on there, then some want to be master certified shade trees. There are also some guys who know their stuff pretty good, but quite often their responses, get covered up by all of the parrot responses.
                            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 08-08-2022, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              I’ve gone back through this thread. Did you check the gas cap or the evap lines leaving the tank before you did all of this?

ECU problems are extremely rare…..I mean really rare.

The other thing is not all CEL are “bad”. My son has been driving the 07 Avalanche I bought him since 2015. It has a code for an evap leak. The seal on the top of the tank is bad.

The truck drives fine and I’m not dropping the tank fix it. It’s a 15yr old truck.

Do you diagnose your vehicle issues or do you go off what the dealer/shop says?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Yes, very much the truth. The only reason that I might think there might be a computer problem is, the O2 heater circuit, but it would be rare if the O2 heater circuit in the computer was bad. Evap problem caused by the computer, would be extremely rare.

Comment

Working...
                              X