Lake Houston Area for Water Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Houston Area for Water Dog

Is there a safe place at Lake Houston to chunk dummies in the a waterdog for training purposes?

Sounds like there are plenty of gators and they may have a chance of ruining her training…

I would be very leery sending a dog in any water over calf deep and even then be watching hard.

Comment

I would not do it...

Comment

I grew up on that lake never seen a alligator. Plenty parks around

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would find a golf course close by the house and go at dusk

Comment

We used to train my lab at the docks at River Grove Park (southern dead end at Woodlands Hills off of Kingwood Dr.). Need to have a "K" sticker on your vehicle.

Comment

Don’t worry about gators in that lake. Take your dog and enjoy it. Deussen Park may be a good spot. I’ve never seen gators anywhere near that area. I have seen one on the San Jacito river near where it flows into the lake. Never seen one on the lake.

Comment

Work my V at River Grove Park as well. Soccer fields are great for any yard work you need to do and there are good options for water work as well. As Chew said, make sure you have a K sticker as they do enforce the towing there. Good luck with your training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What about that pond at the corner of 59 and townsen? I don't think its posted and I see people fishing there.

Comment

Kevin, use the lake on the golf course at Oakhurst. I doubt anyone will say anything. I used to run my dog there all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                      What about that pond at the corner of 59 and townsen? I don't think its posted and I see people fishing there.
                      That would be a great place. Or north of there you have the river with a bridge for shade

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you drive down West Lake Houston Pkwy. There are a couple of nice ponds closer to Beltway. I believe your dog would have to be on a leash in Dussen Park

Comment

Community lakes and ponds make great places as well. The pond doesn't need to be real large. In fact, if you can get the dummy to the other side of it, the better. Then pup has to traverse the water twice. If pup misses a mark, and the wind is blowing away or to the side, you can walk to the other side and pick up the dummy, unlike a large lake where it could get blown out of range and lost.

Comment

You guys who say you've never seen gators in Lake Houston, ain't been on that lake much!! I had one that was a good 12 foot laying on the bank and sunning on that little strip of land between the river channel and pier there at River Grove Park when I came around a bend in that slough in my canoe!! Back when it was not illegal to bowfish that lake, I saw LOTS of BIG gators in that lake and I bet they ain't gone nowhur! Having said that, I've trained my lab at River Grove park too on the main body of the river channel next to the soccer fields... There's more danger from the drunk teenagers in their parent's ski boats acting like idiots in the river channel than gators with respect to safety for your dog...

Comment

Oh and Kevin, a buddy of mine used to train his dogs in the ponds at the front of Kingwood right on Kingwood drive and 59... probably not an option right now with all the construction along 494 tho...

Comment

Working...
                              X