The insanity that is new car sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The insanity that is new car sales

Wife and I went to look at trading in our SUV on something a little more fuel efficient. Found a new Honda Accord. Nice and comfortable so we decided to see what they would offer us. The MSRP on this Accord was $34k.

Handed them the keys to our SUV(2019 VW Atlas with 42k miles) and waited for a few minutes. The poor salesman almost got laughed out of the room!!!

They offered $21k for the Atlas(autotempest showed all the local ones selling for $32k-$34k).

They tacked on $4k market adjustment.

Then they tacked on $2,600 for window tint, paint protection, and fabric protection!

After all the other taxes and fees they wanted to charge, that $34k car was going to cost $55k!!!

I guess there are a lot of people that fall for all of this mark up otherwise the dealerships wouldn’t be doing it. You can buy a whole lot of gas for the markup they are charging!!

We just bought a new car and it went smooth. Signed the deal - waited 2 months - picked it up...

Comment

Hmm 4K for market. 2600 for tint...what’s the other 14k for??

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
        Wife and I went to look at trading in our SUV on something a little more fuel efficient. Found a new Honda Accord. Nice and comfortable so we decided to see what they would offer us. The MSRP on this Accord was $34k.

Handed them the keys to our SUV(2019 VW Atlas with 42k miles) and waited for a few minutes. The poor salesman almost got laughed out of the room!!!

They offered $21k for the Atlas(autotempest showed all the local ones selling for $32k-$34k).

They tacked on $4k market adjustment.

Then they tacked on $2,600 for window tint, paint protection, and fabric protection!

After all the other taxes and fees they wanted to charge, that $34k car was going to cost $55k!!!

I guess there are a lot of people that fall for all of this mark up otherwise the dealerships wouldn’t be doing it. You can buy a whole lot of gas for the markup they are charging!!
        I tried my best to make that point to young man at work the other day. Had a Tundra he only owed 1 year on but said gas was eating him up. Couldn’t make him see the light. Now he has a VW Passat and 4-5 years worth of payments on a car that’s way overpriced in todays market

Comment

My son is a car enthuiest. He knows everything about them from fixing to financing as he is a loan officer at a credit union.

He deals directly with the slim bag people at the dealerships calling to get loans for the cars that are sold. It tears him up seeing how the public is getting screwed every which way but Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
            Hmm 4K for market. 2600 for tint...what’s the other 14k for??
            Roughly $7k under fair market trade in is part of it, which ends up adding to the negative equity that would be rolled over, along with other fees.

Comment

According to God's gift to radio.
              That "nut case" Ed Wallace, says now's the best time to buy a new car..

Comment

Paint protection?....really?....that sounds like the biggest scam in the universe...we did without that for how many years and just waxed our cars 4-6 times a year and things seemed to be fine....what do i know thou

Comment

I got an online offer a few months ago on a 4runner. They upcharged for tint and seat protection.

I told them get me one without it cause I'm going to have it tinted myself and get seat covers. Never got email back

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

The extra window sticker dealer add-ons are what keeps me from my local Ford dealer.

He (owner/manager) called me after a truck purchase and asked why I didn't give his dealership a shot. (I guess they have a data base showing truck purchases in area?)

I told him I wasn't fooling with trying to dance around the dealer add-ons.

He said, "we've never let that get in the way of a deal".
                    I told him "it just did".

He repeated his sentence, I repeated mine.

I'm still not sure if he was picking up what I was putting down.
                    The math is fuzzy enough without throwing that stuff in the mix.

Window tint / window vin etching / fabric protector/ paint protector/ nitrogen tires / dealer alarm / crap wheels I wouldn't have chosen........

I doubt those invisible items ever make it to the vehicle, the rest are just a way to pull extra money from the buyers account into the dealers account. financed for 5+years at that.

Comment

My daughter totaled 2 of our cars within 6 weeks of each other!!! One her fault the other not. But nonetheless I’ve got to buy two more vehicles and I freaking hate it!!! Can’t find anything, all over priced! One was paid off and still tons of life in it and can’t come close to replacing it dollar for dollar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s insane.

The fact that I bought my 250 15 months ago, added 40k miles to it and could sell it for 10,000$ over what I bought it for is mind blowing.

But people are paying these stupid prices so everyone will continue to get bent over

Comment

Didn’t y’all just buy that VW? I imagine you’re gonna take one heck of a hit on it if you paid current prices.

Comment

Shop around and you can find dealers selling for msrp or less pretty easily. Also take your car to CarMax, Carvana, Vroom etc.. to get offers before going to a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can buy a hell of a lot of fuel with the savings with just sticking with the atlas!!

I hate buying cars, and cant stand a car salesman.

Comment

Working...
                              X