Flounder gigging questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    Well didn’t slay them but both stuck one keeper this morning before daylight. Learning every trip. May run across Aransas Bay and try outside St Joes. Or may drive around and look for some walk in spots.
    There are a lot of flounder guides that work those areas. You are going to have a lot of competition.

I love floundering, have not got to do much floundering in years. Hopefully in the next couple of years, we can get things set up so we can do some floundering.

Goose Island, used to have some good flounder in the area. I want to get back over there and try it out. Where the channel cuts through, under the pier, there is a good bit of oyster shell beds on either side of that cut or channel. We used to do pretty good right in that area.

They last few times we camped on Goose Island, one, we did not catch a single trout, or flounder. Which are the two fish we used to catch plenty of there, they were always big. That place had a lot of big trout, under the lights. In recent years, it's been noting but hard head and gaff top.

At night almost all night we would hear the flounder boats coming from the boat ramp near Goose Island. Then we would hear them run over to San Jose, all over that area, all night long.

Comment

We’ve always had good success on the St. Joe shoreline.

Comment

The flats along the shrimp boat channel always produce. Sometimes more than others. Incoming tide definitely seems to be best.

Comment

Nice work Glen. Your getting it figured out, that's pretty cool.

Comment

Congrats that’s some of the finest fish imo.

Comment

Nicely done sir!

Comment

Good flatties right there. It will only get better from here. East Flats right along the shore line is a great area. I have also had some decent success walking around Pelican Island. Make sure to anchor up opposite side of the ship channel as the water will suck out of there when ships pass. Water is a little deeper on that end but there are some blankets in there.

Comment

When I worked as a tankerman we would go to Martin Harbor Island and load crude from 18 wheelers. The channel that runs parallel to 361, I am guessing it's the shrimp boat channel, would hold a lot of flatties. There were two docks back then at Martin. The pilings further to the north would produce the most fish. The bank is rocky so be careful, but some of the biggest flounders I have seen were stuck there at night. this would be on the west side of the channel.

Comment

Memory maker for me! Went gigging with a friend back in my Corpus days. He had a nice small boat with an air motor and 4 lanterns rigged on the front. We put in along the shoreline at Redfish Bay and he showed me how to gig and put them in the box.
                    I moved up front and was enjoying the experience. We were in 8-12 inches of water cruising along nice and slow when I saw a pipe sticking up out of the sand. I thought surely we would clear it, WRONG! The boat hit the pipe and stopped. I went over the bow and took the lanterns with me. Landed in 8" of water on my hands and knees.
                    My buddy asked if I was okay and then had a good laugh when I said yeah. We gathered up his equipment from the water and headed for home. At least I didn't bust any glass, just the mantles.

Comment

Anyone familiar with the Carancahua Cove area on the adjacent, east side of Jamaica Beach community? Staying there this weekend and thought about trying to walk out and wade-gig that area. Satellite looks like some pretty good sand edges

Comment

Working...
                      X